Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Shepherd

Christ was forsaken for us, and cried out to the Father who had abandoned him on the cross. But when the suffering was completed ("It is finished!") then his Father received him again, and a Way of peace was made between man and God. Jesus, the Way, now brings us to the Father. As his baptized sons and daughters who cling to him in faith, we are Shepherded by him. We are the people of his pasture, his sheep. Sins forgiven. Hearts restored. Souls revived. Death overcome. Life eternal granted.

Read Psalm 23


Probably the most beloved psalm in the whole psalter, it is most comforting and memorable. I believe it is so near to our hearts because of the simple picture language that speaks volumes in just a few words. Think about the pictures evoked from these few words: green pastures, quiet waters, the valley of death, a table, oil, a cup, a house for our eternal dwelling. A soul in sorrow and anguish must cling to such beautiful promises. A soul in pain and agony needs these concrete and vivid images to occupy the mind, leaving no room for the Devil and his terrifying Death. Our God. The Shepherd. OUR Shepherd. MY Shepherd. Leading me, tending me, helping me, holding my hand in the valley of the shadow of death, providing for me, restoring me and giving me life. What a beautiful Psalm!

The Apostle John was one to use similar simple picture language to tell deep spiritual truths. This is why he includes Jesus' comforting I AM statements. I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I AM the door. I AM the Light of the world. I AM the Bread of Life. I AM the Resurrection and the Life. I AM the Vine. I AM the Alpha and Omega. I AM the Good Shepherd.

Yes, there it is in John chapter 10. Jesus is the Good Shepherd who laid down his life for the sheep. How comforting it is to know that the One who accompanies us through the valley of the shadow of death is the One who has already walked through that valley alone, who died, and who rose from the dead! Yes, I can believe him when he promises that his goodness and mercy are with me everyday and always. I can believe him when he promises that I will dwell with him forever. Therefore I fear no evil! Thanks be to God.

Read Genesis 26


Like father, like son. Isaac pulls the same "She's my sister!" trick on the same Abimelech as his father Abraham did. In addition to Isaac's sin, there are also other conflicts: squabbles between the Isaac's family and the Philistines, even though there was a covenant made between the two groups that should have prevented such mischief with the wells; Esau takes heathen wives that are a constant source of grief for Isaac and Rebekah; and another famine in the land.

But God shows that he is willing to overcome sin, strife, and suffering. Isaac and his family are provided for abundantly. They find water in the wells. The land produces 100 fold. And they find some space to settle so there won't be squabbles. In fact, the Philistines come and acknowledge that the LORD - the One True God - is with Isaac's family, and they make a covenant, again.

The Lord renews his promise to Isaac. His descendants, the Lord says, will be a multitude. And, nations of the earth will be blessed through Isaac. This is how we know for sure that Isaac carries the promise that the Messiah would come through his bloodline. Isaac believes the Lord, and shows himself to be of great faith like his father Abraham. He builds and altar and worships the Lord where he settles. When you move, you have to find a church, right?

Yes, an example of faith. But also God at work to keep his promise. That's what this chapter is about. And thanks be to God that he did keep his promise even though Israel would prove to be faithless time and time again. God is faithful, and God sent his Son Jesus to make us his little lambs, and to lead us to green pastures and still waters, yes, even to everlasting life.

I am Jesus' little lamb,
Ever glad at heart I am;
For my Shepherd gently guides me,
Knows my need and well provides me,
Loves me ev'ry day the same,
Even calls me by my name.

Day by day, at home, away,
Jesus is my staff and stay.
When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,
Into pleasant pastures leads me;
When I thirst, He bids me go
Where the quiet waters flow.

Who so happy as I am,
Even now the Shepherd's lamb?
And when my short life is ended,
By His angel host attended,
He shall fold me to His breast,
There within His arms to rest.

Ask Yourself:

God's Word is meant for our hearts, but also our minds. Do I picture these gracious promises of God in Psalm 23 when I am afraid, stressed, or troubled?

How often am I afraid, worried, or anxious? Am I forgetting that the Good Shepherd is by my side? Do I allow him to lead me?

Would I have more inner peace even in times of external conflict if I wandered and strayed less?
Pray:

Lord Jesus, who alone is that one Good Shepherd, thanks be unto You for all Your spiritual and bodily benefits. Let the Word of Your salvation dwell among us richly, and suffer not that trusty staff, the word of Your promise, to be taken from us. And when the shadow of death spreads over us, conduct us safely to the fold of the perfected saints, the tabernacle not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful book on the 23rd Psalm is A Shepherd looks at PSALM 23 by phillip keller. It gives insight into how much work it is to take care of sheep since they are pretty defensless and not very smart.Sounds like the human race! We have had a painting of Jesus the Good Shepherd hanging on the wall for almost 40 years. In it Jesus is carrying a little lamb. During very stressful times in our lives, I imaginined that I was that little lamb. It gave me a great deal of comfort and peace. How great to know that at times when we are too weak and tired to follow the Shepherd,He will pick us up and carry us.

    ReplyDelete