Saturday, October 17, 2009

In His Hands

Jesus cried out from the cross as he was dying the words of Psalm 31:5 "Into your hand I commit my spirit." If our Savior can pray this Psalm in the midst of death, then we can certainly learn to pray it in the midst of life. May God bless our study.

Read Psalm 31

When David wrote this psalm he was in dire need. There are enemies, plots, evil plans, reproaches, and all kinds of unpleasantness. David cites specifically a time when he was in a besieged city, thinking that his time was at an end. But it was not the case. God was strong to rescue and save.

And so a few times in this psalm, as David is rejoicing over God his rock, refuge, and fortress, he declares that he is in God's hands. It is an expression that is extremely comforting to David. David commits his spirit into God's hands. David declares that his times are in God's hands. God's hands have fashioned the universe. They are strong and powerful. There is great security, comfort, and protection in God's hands.

We too are in God's hands, safe and sound. Unfortunately it does not mean that we will not suffer afflictions in this life. However, we know that when we are in God's hands, no enemy can truly hurt us. Though they hurt, harm, and kill the body, they cannot destroy the soul. In fact, they can only temporarily destroy the body, because it will be raised perfected and glorified on the Last Day because of Christ.

My times are in my hands. What awaits me today? The Lord only knows. I don't. I can sit and worry and be afraid over what might happen, or I can commit myself into the Lord's hands.

Jesus says in John 10, "27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

Jesus' hands were stretched out and pierced for us. They still bear the scars, scars that are made beautiful by his love. Those are the hands that hold us. Though wickedness may hurt and harm us sometimes (poor Dinah has a terrible time in our Genesis reading today), we know that ultimately no human, no enemy, no devil can drag us to hell. We are God's precious children. We are safe in his hands. And any hurt caused to us in this life can be healed by him - if not completely in this life, then perfectly in the next.

Lord, into your hands I commit my spirit. Amen.

Read Genesis 34

I don't think I will make too many comments about this reading. It is an interesting narrative story. It is God's Word. But some of God's Word lends itself to devotional thought better than other parts.

I think all I'll say is that I am thankful that we have a God of love and a God of justice. Sometimes in our limited and sinful minds we are confused or even upset by how God chooses to hand out love or justice. But we must remember that his ways are not our ways.

So in this story, there is rape, and the men of the city die for it. There is murder, yet God offers protection for Jacob (as we'll see clearly declared in the next chapter). What do we make of all if it?

Well, this is a story that is descriptive, not prescriptive. In other words, this story tells us what happened, not what we are to do. God's Word is not instructing us to take revenge here. I think this is another example of man taking matters into his own hands. But let us remember that revenge belongs to the Lord, and that all things are in his hands. Therefore we return to this: "Into your hands I commit my spirit." "My times are in his hands."

Ask Yourself:

Do I picture myself safe in the Lord's hands when in times of trouble?

Do I take revenge into my own hands, or leave vengeance up to God?

Who within my circle of influence needs me to tell them that they are safe in the Lord's hands?

Pray:
We pray a hymn about Jesus' seven words from the cross. These verses are about Jesus crying "Into your hands I commit my spirit." May we cry the same thing.

Jesus, all Your labor vast,
All Your woe and conflict past,
Yielding up Your soul at last:
Hear us, holy Jesus.

When the death shades round us low'r,
Guard us from the tempter's pow'r,
Keep us in that trial hour:
Hear us, holy Jesus.

May Your life and death supply
Grace to live and grace to die,
Grace to reach the home on high:
Hear us, holy Jesus.

(LSB 447:19-21, Public Domain)

Study with me Monday,

Pastor Jon

S. D. G.

No comments:

Post a Comment