Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Forsaken!

Today, comments on the Genesis reading will be brief. We meditate slowly on Psalm 22. We know that David spoke these words. So in some way they were descriptive of some suffering he endured. But while some of it might be hyperbole (a poetic exaggeration) for David, it is literal for Christ. Jesus prays Psalm 22 while on the cross to show that this psalm was a prophecy of his own crucifixion. What a vivid description of the horrible (and wonderful) event. We meditate:

Read Psalm 22


Luther says: "The 22nd psalm is a prophecy of the suffering and resurrection of Christ and a prophecy of the Gospel, which the entire world shall hear and receive. Beyond all other texts, it clearly shows Christ's torment on the cross, that He was pierced hand and foot and His limbs stretched out so that His bones could have been counted. Nowhere in the other prophets can one find so clear a description. It is indeed one of the chief psalms." Reading the Psalms with Luther, CPH.

We all know Psalm 23 - probably by heart. But we must remember that we cannot pray Psalm 23, which calls God our Shepherd, unless Jesus first prays for us Psalm 22 "Why have you forsaken me?" Because Jesus was abandoned by the Father during his crucifixion, and because he died and was placed in a borrowed tomb, we know that we will rise from our own tombs.

Read Genesis 25


Abraham certainly does become a multitude. He takes another wife, who bears him many children. His first son, Ishmae,l fathers 12 sons himself. But poor Isaac, the one who bears the promise, is childless for a long time. His wife Rebekah is barren, just as his mother was. So it seems as if everyone is prospering and growing and being blessed, except the one through whom this nation is supposed to be built.

But God is not "slow" in keeping his promises. Rather, we are impatient. Rebekah bears her children, Jacob and Esau. The conflict between the two mounts already in this brief account. Their relationship will get worse before it gets better.

And so we end our Genesis reading today with the Messianic line off to a slow and conflicted start, and the great man of faith, Abraham, buried in the tomb he bought. But remember that buying that tomb was an act of faith. There many family members would be buried in that tomb, the first piece of land owned in the Promised Land. And many, many years later, another One would die and be buried in the Promised Land. But this one would rise from the dead, and would be the resurrection of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and others.

And so we see another prophecy of Psalm 22 fulfilled, "All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, even the one who could not keep himself alive." (verse 29).

And why did Luther say this Psalm was a prophecy of the Gospel? Because this Jesus - who was crucified, who could count all his bones on the cross, whose tongue stuck to the roof of his dry mouth - this Jesus would be proclaimed all over the globe as the Savior of the world. Psalm 22:27, 31 "All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you...they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it." (Remember that Abraham promised that through him all families of the earth would be blessed?)

Thanks be to God, that Jesus bore the cross for me!

Ask Yourself:

What sin do I repent of today?

Can I imagine what being cut off from God would be like? Do I need to imagine it?

What can I do today to show God my thanks for his salvation?

Pray:

Today we pray some verses of the Hymn "Upon the Cross Extended" by one of my favorite hymn writers, Paul Gerhardt:

I caused Your grief and sighing By evils multiplying
As countless as the sands.
I caused the woes unnumbered With which Your soul is cumbered,
Your sorrows raised by wicked hands.

Your soul in griefs unbounded, Your head with thorns surrounded,
You died to ransom me.
The cross for me enduring, The crown for me securing,
You healed my wounds and set me free.

Your cords of love, my Savior, Bind me to You forever,
I am no longer mine.
To You I gladly tender All that my life can render
And all I have to You resign.

(LSB 453:4-6, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

3 comments:

  1. This is a little off topic, but your closing prayer is my greatest argument against contemporary worship. I was able to sing this prayer. Over 50+ years I have worshiped in a "traditional" LCMS congregation and now am blessed with a rich memory of many of the hymms from our hymnals. My fear is that many of those raised in a "contemporay" style will only have memories of a power point presentation of "Our God is an Awesome God", of course which he is. But there is no theological meat there, only candy. Karen and I have family members that were raised in a "contemporary" LCMS congregation, and they don't know the "Common Doxology". It is quite sad. Sorry about getting off-topic, but God's Word & Sacrament ministry through our hymns is a great blessing. Karen & I were members at Christ, in Lenexa for a year or so. I can honestly say, I don't remember any of the power point hymms we sang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, pardon me again, but Esau came out of the womb looking like a "hairy cloak"? I knew he was hairy, but now I'm envisioning those hairy, hairy "wolf-man" kids in Mexico (if you've ever seen that documentary before).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad: Actually some babies are born with body hair. It's called lanugo. It is typically shed before birth, but sometimes remains, especially on premature babies. (And twins are often premature). He was probably exceptionally hairy, though, which is why it gains special mention. He would be the father of Edom (which means "red.") Edom would be harsh to Israel later, and they receive a curse for it, because Edom was supposed to be their "brother." You'll see.

    Kevin: It is beautiful poetry by Gerhardt (and the translator), and a beautiful tune!

    While I don't intend this Bible study tool to be a platform for that kind of debate, I would like to mention that there is great comfort, consistency, and educational value in the repetition of quality, time tested worship materials (liturgy and hymnody). This is not all that can be said about the issue, but this is where I will leave it. I believe "both sides" (as they term it) can learn from the other, respect the strong faith of the other, and especially remember that we are on the same side - Jesus' side.

    I hope that those who prefer traditional hymnody and those who prefer contemporary songs alike can both find great delight and depth in the prayers and hymns that I quote in this study.

    And I hope we can all patiently and lovingly discuss our differences, preferences, and personal points of view.

    ReplyDelete