Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Master of Dreams

Our opening prayer:

Lord, Your words are waters living
When my thirsting spirit pleads.
Lord, Your words are bread life-giving;
on Your words my spirit feeds.
Lord, Your words will be my light
Through death's cold and dreary night;
Yes, they are my sword prevailing
And my cup of joy unfailing!

(LSB 589:2, Public Domain)

Read Psalm 34

Read Genesis 37

I see an interesting devotional thought in my new Lutheran Study Bible (TLSB) concerning dreams. It says, "You will have many dreams during your life. Be careful about interpreting them. In Genesis, God used dreams especially to reveal His will. But today, we have God's will recorded in the Bible for us. While interpreting the Book of Genesis, Luther noted, 'I, too, at times have dreams that move me somewhat, but I despise them and have come to this understanding with my Lord God that I will believe Moses and the prophets.'" (p. 74).

So, let us not make too much of dreams. For if we want to know for sure what God is telling us, we don't rely on dreams, or try to listen for his voice, or try to consult some sort of medium, but rather, we consult the Bible. Not that God can't speak in a dream or into our ears, but our hope, our expectations, and our certainties come from the inspired, revealed Word of God, the Bible.

But God did speak through Joseph's dreams. His brothers sarcastically call him a "Dreamer," or, rather literally, "Master of Dreams." But these dreams reveal an event far in the future, an outcome that the brothers would never have imagined, and would never believe though it was just told to them plainly. In the end, they will bow down to Joseph.

But nothing seems less likely than that at the end of our chapter. Joseph is a slave. Jacob (Israel) believes he is dead. The brothers are rid of the master of dreams.

But as we begin this whole Joseph story, I must skip to the end. I skip to 13 chapters later in Genesis and share the words of Joseph to his brothers, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good" (Genesis 50:20).

We so often want to know why God allows what he allows, does what he does, and says what he says. But we cannot see 1 second into the future. Therefore, when we are in the midst of a period of trial we desperately call out to God "Why?". Joseph may have wondered "why" for years and years and years.

But the point is this: eventually, God proves there was a reason. In fact, he was able to use even the wickedness of the brothers for good. He was able to overcome sin, and actually provide for the lives of thousands (millions?) of people through Joseph.

Now, there is no denying that these were terrible actions of the brothers. Terrible! But it is God's goodness that brings out of it food for nations, healing for a family, and blessings for a young man sold as a slave. God is powerful. God is good.

Ask Yourself:

What hardships have I suffered because of the sin of family members? Friends? Coworkers? Or just because of "circumstances"?

I still fail to see good coming from what events in my life?

How does the end of the Joseph story bring me peace?

Pray:

As I pray, dear Jesus, hear me;
Let Your words in me take root.
May Your Spirit e'er be near me
That I bear abundant fruit.
May I daily sing Your praise,
From my heart glad anthems raise,
Till my highest praise is given
In the endless joy of heaven.

(LSB 589:4, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow (maybe with a Lutheran Study Bible!),

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment