Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Worse Before Better

Read Proverbs 5

Read Exodus 5

Pharaoh doesn't really care about who the Lord is and what he says. He isn't really thrilled that this Israelite work force wanted to take a few days off for a religious celebration. So he makes things worse for everyone. Now they must make their bricks (the same quota, by the way) without the provided straw. They must glean some stubble and try to use that.

From a human perspective we often notice that things get worse before they get better. The unemployment rate, our 401k, the economy in general, morality in the US, family tensions at home - all of these (and more) can lead us to lament: "Things will get worse before they get better."

When we use this expression, we may be trying to be realistic. Or maybe we're being cynical. Whatever the case, it's hard to be optimistic in tough times. We might even feel that though we pray and pray, but only the opposite happens.

And so we must wait it out (whatever "it" is). We wait much longer than we'd like. But we wait trusting in our Savior's love, protection, and power. Deliverance is coming for Israel. Our deliverance has come in the person of Jesus Christ. And full and complete deliverance is coming for us when we are called home. Yes, things may get worse before they get better, but because of Jesus, things will get better!

Ask Yourself:

When I see the wickedness of the world, do I still hang onto hope through Jesus?

When I'm hanging onto hope and love because of Jesus, do I realize that I can make a difference in the wicked world?

Am I tempted to consider God an enemy? Or do I trust that he has a plan, and his timing may be different from our wishes?

Pray:

"Lord, forgive my accusations and inaction in view of Your Word and the obstacles I face. Grant me confidence in Your fatherly heart. Amen." (TLSB p. 104)

Study with me tomorrow,


Pastor Jon


Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment