Thursday, December 3, 2009

Clean the Inside

Read Psalm 70

Read Matthew 23

In his seven woes against the scribes and Pharisees, Jesus strongly warns against hypocrisy. I should make it clear that we are not the same as the scribes and Pharisees. They rejected Jesus as the Messiah and directly opposed him. We, on the other hand, believe in Jesus, and take his words to heart. So we are not hypocrites just like the Pharisees.

But we are warned to avoid the sin and trap of hypocrisy. We are always tempted (and sometimes succumb) to do things for show. We want to look good, not necessarily be good. But looking good before man is unimportant. God sees all. He sees the heart. He sees through the all the fake. We can't impress him with a flare of showiness.

In the end, we need to be humble and confess with the words of our psalm, "I am poor and needy!" I've been fake too many times. I've worried about what others have thought more than I've worried about the status of my heart.

The good news is this doesn't mean I am not a Christian. Christians are sinners and saints at the same time. This doesn't mean that my sin is acceptable. But it does mean that my sin is forgiven. The Father, who sees to the sin of my heart, also sees to the perfection of Jesus' heart. This perfection is placed over us. We are covered in his righteousness.

Unbelievers like to think that Christians are hypocrites. We have to admit that, yes, we can often fall into hypocrisy. But we are not hypocrites. No. Christians believe in Jesus. We are forgiven, renewed, and truly motivated to live for Jesus.

So, though I admit hypocrisy, I want to be renewed. I want to do better. I want to be clean on the inside so it shows on the outside. I want to practice what I preach. I want the love of Jesus to completely change me and renew me.

Ask Yourself:

Am I worried about impressing people, or having pure motivations?

What things do I do just for show?

What can I do differently to have a heart like Jesus, who did nothing fake, nothing hypocritically?

Pray:

I am poor and needy;
hasten to me, O God!
You are my help and my deliverer;
O LORD, do not delay! (Psalm 70:5)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment