Friday, December 4, 2009

That Day And Hour

Read Psalm 71

Quote from Luther: "The 71st psalm is (by my understanding) a psalm of prayer spoken from beginning to end in the person of all Christendom against all enemies and affliction. It prays especially concerning the time of old age, when one becomes feeble and gray. That is, it prays for the last Christians, for whom the times will be dangerous, and when faith - together with the Gospel - will be cast down. In the same way, Daniel also proclaimed that the truth would be cast down and unrighteousness shall conquer. Therefore, the psalmist praises God's righteousness alone, which he has learned from God since his youth, or since the beginning.

May this be a comforting prophecy for us, that God's Word shall return before the end of the world. With this Word God will call us from the depths of the earth and mightily comfort us. From this basis comes also the general statement concerning Christ: that Elijah and Enoch shall come, the lies of the antichrist shall be exposed, and all shall again be set right." (Reading the Psalms with Luther, CPH)

Read Matthew 24


Luther's comments above fit perfectly with Matthew 24 as well. We hear about the end times, and some events that happen before the end. We can get hung up on all the doom and destruction, but we should remember that Jesus speaks such things not to scare us, but rather to prepare us and encourage us.

False Christs, famine, earthquakes, great tribulation, total destruction if the days aren't cut short...all sounds scary. But we can take great comfort in knowing that the Gospel, the Good News, will be proclaimed throughout the whole world. In other words, not only will the Good News of Jesus Christ reach all the far stretches of the globe, but also, Christianity will abide to the end.

This gives the Church (and members of the Church) great comfort. God will not abandon us. He will not let his people be swept away. He will not be defeated. The Church marches on. The Church gains victory over Satan and his kingdom. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus.

So, though we are never happy with it, we should expect evil forces to constantly oppose us in America and all over the globe. Yet, we Christians stand firm in faith. Clinging to Christ, turning from sin, equipped with the armor of God, proclaiming the Word of God, we will abide until the end, and receive the crown of glory.

Ask Yourself:

Why do I fear? I am more than a conqueror through Christ!

Am I ready for the end? Am I at peace with God?

What can I do to prepare those around me?

Pray:

"Lord Jesus, who in Your childhood set an example for the young to follow, by Your Holy Word teach our children, and all the rising generation, the beginning of wisdom, which is the fear of God. Cause our young men and women to shun the byways of vanity and vice, and to walk in the straight path of godliness and virtue, and make them ornaments of Your Holy Church. Grant us hearts to appreciate Your truth, that we may steadfastly continue in Your Word, and may escape the snares of these evil days. Amen."

(Read the Psalms with Luther, CPH, p. 166, 168)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Jon,

    Thanks for referencing Ephesians 6. Yesterday I had an appointment, and when I returned to my car, a note was attached.

    It said, "I love your license plate # Eph 6 - (We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers). But God gave us authority over them - Praise God!"

    I didn't choose that license plate for a "pat on the back". I chose it to make a statement to believers, and to stimulate non-believers asking what it meant.

    Praise God!

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they left the note. I really like the plate too. When I see it I think "put on the full armor of God," and I am reminded to stand firm in the Word of God and fight against that Devil. He is on the losing side. God has brought me to the winning side. I am encouraged. "Praise God" is right!

    ReplyDelete