Monday, December 7, 2009

Betrayed and Arrested

Well, Friday I successfully made the upgrade on my home computer to windows 7. I didn't get any comments done that day for Saturday's post because (who knew?) when they say it is a several hour process, they aren't lying. But, earthly things aside, we now study God's Word.

Read Psalm 73

Quote from Luther: The 73rd psalm is a psalm of instruction against the great vexation that the godless are rich and everything goes well for them. They ridicule the poor and afflicted saints as if God neither knew nor regarded them. They consider only themselves and their holy works and what they taught and said as precious, heavenly, and godly wisdom and holiness. This causes much pain, so that the psalmist says, 'I was brutish and ignorant...toward You,' that is, I was called a godless heretic and despiser of God. Then, he says: Stop! Go into the sanctuary and hear what God's Word says of them. Look at the former examples in the histories, and you will find that they all at once come to nothing, for there is no ground or foundation under them, but only slippery footing." (Reading the Psalms with Luther, CPH).

Read Matthew 26


It's Advent. We usually don't hear Maundy Thursday texts in Advent - but it's good for us. It's a somber reminder, however, what kind of a King we are preparing to welcome. The babe born in Bethlehem will one day be betrayed and arrested. He will be led to an unfair trial, sentenced, tortured, and crucified. This is what he was born to do. This is the reason he came.

When he institutes the blessed supper that gives us great peace and comfort, Jesus tells us that his blood is poured out for "the forgiveness of sins." This applies to the body and blood we receive in the supper, but also to his crucifixion, the act in which he offers his body and blood for our redemption. It is all for the forgiveness of sins.

This is why he came - for forgiveness. For me. For my wretchedness. For my brokenness. For my original sin. For my actual sin.

What comfort. And it's free. What more can be said. Thanks be to God!

Ask Yourself:

Do I daily rejoice in the forgiveness I receive?

Do I daily thank God for the comfort in my salvation?

Can forgiveness really give me peace no matter what circumstances life brings?

Pray:

Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but [You are] the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:25-26)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment