Monday, December 21, 2009

Two Roads

Read Proverbs 9

Two roads lie before us: the way of wisdom and the way of folly. They both call to us, beckoning us near. One is a way of life, health, and peace. One is a way of immorality, destruction, and death.

Two roads lie before us. But which is which? Our sinful nature votes for the wrong one. Part of being sinful is not just having a hard time changing, but not even wanting to change. It is hard to drive out sin because we enjoy sin. It is hard to resist temptation because our sinful nature wants to give in. It is fun, our nature thinks. So, our sinful nature tries to convince us: "Stolen water is sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant " (9:17). But the one who believes these words and gives in doesn't realize that down that road there is death.

On the other hand, the wisdom of God calls us to trust in him for the forgiveness of sins, for life, and for salvation. The wisdom of God calls us to see the cross of Christ. See what our terrible sins have done! See also what the undeserved love of God has done! See how our sinful nature is undone! Oh, my Savior, crushed for me. How can I go on sinning. How can the temptations seem sweet when I behold my beaten and bloody Savior? No! Two roads lie before me. I will walk in the road of wisdom, the way of peace and righteousness, the Way of Jesus. Even if I should have to bear a heavy cross, my Lord's was heavier than mine. Let me carry my cross and follow Jesus. After all, it is the way to heavenly peace.

Read Exodus 9


Pharaoh chooses the wrong way. Some of his servants learn to fear the Lord. They listen to Moses and begin forcing inside the servants and finding shelter for their livestock. Pharaoh's heart became more hardened, but some because wise.

Unfortunately for the Egyptians, Pharaoh's hard heart meant more trouble and misery for Egypt. It is as God says in Proverbs. There are two options. And we know which way is the way of Life.

Pharaoh will never really truly change his mind, though he does relent for just a time. And we see in Pharaoh the damaging destruction of what sin can do to a person. Pharaoh was regarded as a god by his people, but we see him as a tragic figure. We see what rebellion against God earns him.

I think I would certainly have been terrified by the plagues. Don't you?

Ask Yourself:

What sins do I not even want to give up? Which sins do I want to give up but haven't been able?

Those around me have two roads from which to choose. How do they affect my choices?

What can I learn from today's readings when it appears to me that the wicked are successful and the righteous struggling?

Pray:

Pray from your heart today, that God would give you the strength to make wise decisions and live for him.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment