Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What Kind of Christ

Read Psalm 63

Read Matthew 16

The portion of this reading concerning the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees makes me laugh. Not that I would have understood perfectly. I'm sure I would have misunderstood just like the disciples. But I laugh a little because the story reminds me how quickly we forget that God is powerful. Jesus isn't worried about a little yeast, or about their forgetting to bring bread. He had just provided for 5,000 men, and then for 4,000 men, not including women and children. How quickly we also worry and forget all of God's provision and his power to care for us.

Shortly after that, Peter makes this bold confession, acknowledging before the Lord and the other disciples that he believes Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. This confession is the rock of the Church. Peter, a rock, gives a rock-solid confession in Jesus, who is our Rock and foundation! He is Christ, the Son of God, who has come into the world to establish his kingdom.

But Peter does not yet fully realize what kind of Christ Jesus is. This is why Jesus encourages them to keep his identity quiet for a time (theologians call this the Messianic Secret). Why does he do this? Because his time had not yet come. First he must be hated, betrayed, sentenced, tortured, crucified, killed, and raised on the third day, and lifted up to heaven in his ascension. Then he will have completed his Messianic task. Then the disciples are to go about boldly proclaiming the rock-solid confession of who Jesus is and what he came to do.

Peter doesn't get it. Not yet. And we can't fault him for this. He had not yet beheld the crucified and risen Christ with his own eyes.

But soon Peter would fully understand who Christ is, and Peter would stand up before thousands on Pentecost and boldly proclaim the Law of God (that our sins have killed the Son of God) and the Gospel of God (that whoever believes and is baptized shall receive the promised Holy Spirit for the forgiveness of our sins).

That is the same rock-solid confession to which we cling and which we proclaim. This confession is still in the mouths of the members of the Church. The gates of hell cannot overcome it.

This brings me comfort as I see increasing wickedness in the world, and in our own nation. I am comforted knowing that the gates of hell cannot overcome me, nor can they overcome Christianity. And we who endure to the end will be saved and will inherit the crown of life. Not by our own strength, but by the grace of God. Thanks be to our Christ, our crucified and risen, our gracious and powerful, our triumphant and ever-ruling Christ!

Ask Yourself:

Do I quickly forget Jesus' power and fall into worry again?

Does the news of current events cause me to fear the wickedness of this world? What comfort comes to me when I remember that the gates of hell cannot overcome?

Jesus went to the cross for me, for my sins. Do I take time out to discover those sins? Do I take time out to see those sins forgiven?

Pray:

1O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
3Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
4So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands. (Ps. 63:1-4)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment