Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Adversity and Persecution

Read Psalm 57

Quote from Luther: "The 57th psalms is a psalm of prayer in which David once again complains about Saul and his servants - when he crawled away from them into the cave. It has the same meaning as the preceding psalm. Therefore, we would make us of it also against the tyrants and their venomous counselors and slanderers, who twist God's Word against us. They have the fangs and tongue for such work, which are - as David says - spears, arrows, and sharp swords. But thanks be to God, who does not desert us, but hurls them into the pit that they have prepared for us. Their plots finally come down on their own heads."

Read Matthew 10

It is interesting how Jesus begins talking about the disciples' immediate experience and transitions to speaking about their proclaiming of the Good News after his ascension into heaven. Really, he is speaking about them and future disciples (including us). You can tell that Jesus has transitioned away from just the immediate future because he began by telling them not to go to the Gentiles (just for a time, so he could fulfill the promises given to Israel by his death and resurrection), and then he tells them that they will be his witnesses before kings and Gentiles. First they go to Israel. Then later, after his ascension, they are sent to all the Gentiles.

We should expect to be persecuted. If not physically tortured or killed, then hated, ridiculed, and despised. Families will be divided. Disciples will be cast into adversity. And Jesus speaks one of my favorite proverbs: "be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." I believe this encourages us to be shrewd as we are out there in the world, aware of all the lies and schemes and manipulations and deceptions and temptations of the Devil, yet avoiding it all so we can remain righteous and innocent before God.

And this is tough to do. The subtle deceptions of the Devil and the outright physical opposition have tripped up many Christians. The Good News is that there is abundant forgiveness for all of us. And abundant strength!

My Lutheran Study Bible (TLSB) summarizes: "Jesus warns his disciples to expect persecution as they carry out their mission of being His witnesses. This opposition to the Gospel is evidence of sin's grip on the human heart. When we experience abuse because of our loyalty to Jesus, we have His assurance that the Holy Spirit will help us to speak the right words. he will use our Gospel testimony to soften the hard hearts of unbelievers" (p. 1600).

And so we do well to pray with David: "Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by" (Ps. 57:1).

And just as David was rescued from the hand of Saul, Jesus has rescued us from sin, death, and the Devil. He is able to rescue us from the hand of men too. But if God permits us to suffer in this life for his sake, we can take comfort that God, who alone has the power to destroy the soul in hell, has promised us everlasting life in heaven instead of hell.

Really, what can man do to me?

Ask Yourself:

Though I may not be facing physical persecution, am I being persecuted for the sake of Christ in other ways?

Am I trusting God to make me a bold witness? Am I courageously speaking God's Word, trusting God's Will to be done.

What can I do to remain innocent as doves? What can I do to be shrewd as a serpent?

Pray:


Lord Jesus, strengthen my determination to serve as Your ambassador of peace, even when I encounter opposition. Help me to stand firm to the end and faithfully bear witness concerning you in word and deed. "I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds" (Psalm 57:9-10). Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment