Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"N0" to Sin and Temptation

O Lord, let your Spirit dwell in us that we might grow as we meditate on your Word today. Let your Spirit also purify me, that all my doings and life may please you.

Read Psalm 51

Read Matthew 4


We inherit sin, just like King David did. Even when we try our best to live for the Lord, we still fall short. We need to pray regularly that God would "Create in me a clean heart." I enjoy (yes, enjoy is the right word for it) singing this in our worship liturgy. I enjoy it not because of the beauty of the music (though it is beautiful), but because as I sing it, I know God listens, grants forgiveness, renews my heart and spirit, continues to place his Holy Spirit in me, and fills me with the joy (see?) of salvation.

I am thankful for Psalm 51 for this very reason. You see, "Sin is an inheritance, born in us, ever damaging us. None of our works can every set us free from terror, despair, or death. However, God has blotted out even the worst of our sins - adultery and murder - by Jesus' sacrifice." (TLSB, p. 897).

Yes, Jesus is the answer to sin. His forgiveness, and his power. Jesus gives us power to say "no" to sin. We have just asked him to give us a renewed spirit, right? As his redeemed and renewed people we can be like Christ.

Jesus said "no" to sin. He said "no" to the devil. He quoted Scripture back at Satan and refused to fall for any of the devil's tricks. After Jesus passed this time of testing and temptation, he then goes about preaching "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." He has a right to call humans to repentance because he himself has nothing of which to repent.

Yes, going perfect to the cross, bearing our sin upon himself, paying with blood and death and hell that it might be forgiven, he broke the power of the devil over us. He broke the power of sin. Yes, we now have the power to say "no." And not just that, but it means that as we say "no" to sin, we are also free of its burdensome guilt, free of its negative consequences, free of its dysfunction and despair.

Even in the midst of temptation, even in the midst of sin, even in the midst of the weakness of our sinful nature, we can call out to God asking for a clean heart, and God will rescue, forgive and strengthen. Thanks be to God.

Ask Yourself:

Do I think to pray and ask for help in times of temptation?

Do I know enough Scripture to be able to refer to it in a time trial or temptation?

What can I do today to rely on Christ's strength as I do battle against the devil and his lies?

Pray:

Holy Spirit, create me new again, giving joy for sadness. Have mercy on me, O God, and cleanse me from my sin. Amen. (TLSB p. 897).

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment