Monday, November 30, 2009

The Last Shall Be First

Read Psalm 67

Quote from Luther: "The 67th psalm is a prophecy of Christ, that He shall be king the whole world over and rule the people rightly, that is, rule them with the Gospel, that they may be freed from sin to live for Him in righteousness and thank Him with joy. As we have often stated, this is the new and proper worship of God." (Reading the Psalms with Luther, CPH).

Read Matthew 2o


Jesus began in the last two chapters to explain his teaching that the first shall be last, and the last shall be first. Here in chapter 20 he really drives that teaching home as he talks about it almost the whole chapter.

The parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard is one that Lutherans love. We love to remember that we are saved by grace through faith, not by works. Our works haven't earned us heaven any more than the workers who only worked one hour earned a whole day's wages. But God is gracious, and God gives out of love and generosity.

We love the theology of the parable, but the practical application is hard to bear, yes, even for Lutherans. We all have the sinful nature still clinging to us, so like James and John (and their mother) we are constantly thinking that we deserve more than we do, and we focus on how "good" we are and what kind of reward we have coming.

This is not the proper motivation, nor the right way to live. Jesus alone reserves the right to hand out heavenly rewards as he sees fit. And we can be sure that we have not earned one single reward in heaven - not even the tiniest one. Jesus earned them, and then he gave them to us. Even the truly good works we have done have been done as the Holy Spirit worked in us. So again, we can't take credit for that.

Therefore, we are encouraged not to focus on the reward. Rather we are called to be humble. We are called to serve the Lord, for even the Son of Man came not to be served (though he could have forced everyone to wait on him hand and foot!). He came, rather, to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.

That ransom forgives us for all of our pride and conceit. I confess pride every Sunday when we pause before our corporate confession. Pride took down Satan. Pride took down Adam and Eve. Pride can take me down too.

But Jesus' ransom forgives me that pride. And his Spirit renews me, changes me, and makes me humble...Or, I should say, he continues to work to make me humble (I'm not quite there yet). I am so glad that he continues to teach me to live like Christ, to put myself last, and to live for the Lord. I only pray that the less I get in his way, the more God would use me to accomplish his purposes.

And I am thankful that though I know I will not be at Jesus left or his right, so to speak, I will still be with him in my eternal home. Thanks be to God!

Ask Yourself:

How does my pride show itself?

How can I better serve humbly today?

Pray:

Lord, help us walk Your servant way
Wherever love may lead
And, bending low, forgetting self,
Each serve the other's need.

You bid us bend our human pride
Nor count ourselves above
The lowest place, the meanest task
That waits the gift of love.

(LSB 857:1, 4)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment