Thursday, January 20, 2011

We Give Thee But Thine Own

Read 1 Chronicles 29

Read Isaiah 30


There are a multitude of themes in our readings today that could use comment. But, time and space will limit us. So I'd like to comment on the offering given in 1 Chronicles 29.

Following the example of King David the people of Israel joyously give precious materials to the temple building project. King Solomon would build a splendid house for the Lord, and the people, so thankful for the salvation given to them by God give generously.

And notice that no gift was coerced. If we are going to encourage someone to give to the Lord, then we must do a few things: we must lead by example, and we must proclaim the goodness of God, what he has done and what he has promised to do, all through Jesus Christ (who would, by the way, BE the temple, the presence of God, the place where God is at work to grant salvation).

A gift given to God is no gift if it forced. It is no good work if it was given out of guilt. It is not pleasing to God if it was given only for show. What is remarkable about the 1 Chronicles 29 passage is that we see that the people, "had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the LORD." The gift was willing. It was given with a pure heart. Giving in this way they pleased God more than if they had given double begrudgingly.

I wish I could always respond that way. Sometimes by the grace of God I do. But sometimes because of my sinful nature I don't. I'm not just talking about money, but also my time, my abilities, my service, my very life. Christ has done so much for me, rescuing me from sin, death, and the devil, it is a little thing that I should give myself for him.

But thankfully, our loving God accepts even our poor offerings just as a parent might accept and rejoice over a scribbling that their small child made for them. Thankfully he overlooks my faults, forgives me abundantly, and still is pleased to call me his son. We certainly have a gracious God. May we always live for him!

Pray:

We give Thee but Thine own,
Whate'er the gift may be;
All that we have is Thine alone,
A trust, O Lord, from Thee.

May we Thy bounties thus
As stewards true receive
And gladly, as Thou blessest us,
To Thee our firstfruits give!

(LSB 781:1-2, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment