Monday, August 9, 2010

Prove Your Love

Read Ruth 3

Read 2 Corinthians 8


Paul presents the church in Corinth with the opportunity to prove their love. A collection is being taken, and the church in Corinth had expressed its willingness to help about a year earlier. You might say they made a pledge - maybe not a specific amount, but a promise to help. Now Paul is saying it is time for them to make good on their pledge.

Paul is not commanding them to give, but teaching stewardship properly, he reminds us that Christ became poor for us (leaving even the throne of heaven to be a humble servant!) that we might be rich in grace and blessing! We are reminded first and foremost of all Christ has done. We are forgiven much! Instead of being objects of wrath, we are given love, grace, peace, and much more.

Then, motivated by the love of Christ, we Christians are willing to become a little "poorer" in terms of material possessions in order to support the ministry of the Church and to supply the needs of others. Paul is very specific that he is not commanding them to give. But they had expressed their love and willingness to help, and now it is time for them to make good on their promise. The gift is not coerced (indeed, we will hear tomorrow about how God loves a cheerful giver). The opportunity is presented, and God's people respond.

This all got me thinking about if I make good on my promises, if I prove my love with actions, and how I motivate others to do godly things. Maybe that would be something good for you all to think about too. So...

Ask Yourself:

Do I make good on my promises? Do I prove my loving words with loving actions?

When "inviting" others to do good, am I pointing to Christ and how much he has done, or am I just barking out commands?

Pray:

Dear Jesus, thank you for becoming poor that I might be rich. Thank you for being a humble servant, living within God's perfect commands on my behalf, and dying on the cross, giving up your very life for me. Help me always to rejoice in that salvation and the riches of heaven that await me! Help me also to make good on my promises, prove my love with actions, and properly motivate others with the Good News of You, my Savior. Help me by the strength of Your Spirit. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment