Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Jesus

Read Psalm 117

Read 2 Corinthians 11

Paul warns the Corinthians that they are falling prey to false apostles, false ministers of a fake Christ. Is it any surprise that God has caused this, His Holy Word, to be preserved down to the present day for us? We too are in danger of falling prey to false preachers, false gospels, and false gods.

There is no other Jesus than the one, historical, True God and True Man Jesus. But others are preaching another Jesus. Mind you, they don't call this false teaching another Jesus or anther gospel, but that is what it is. We must always be careful and on our guard.

In the name of "Jesus" some are wasting millions of dollars helping unbelievers stay in their unbelief. Some have get rich quick schemes that only help the preacher but not the people. Some fake miracles. Others hide disgusting, immoral lives behind a fancy suit. Others will proclaim "Christ" but deny the Triune God, the divinity of Jesus, or his atoning death and resurrection.

The truth is, we are under spiritual attack, not only from other religions, but also from false-Christians, that is, people who claim to be Christian but are really not. Hear me, I'm not talking about other Christian denominations (though we do have important differences that we need to be careful to sort through - we can't pretend they're not important!). I am not talking about other Christian denominations. I am talking about hypocrites, wolves in sheep's clothing, false "super-apostles" who take away from the Law/Gospel message of Scripture. They don't preach Christ crucified. They don't exhort people away from sins. They don't proclaim the free grace of our Savior.

Be on guard. Paul was on guard, and there was no questioning his sincerity, which he clearly explains to the church in Corinth. We also will prove ourselves to be genuine Christians by willingly carrying our crosses, speaking out against sin and unbelief, and proclaiming the Gospel of the real Jesus in all its sweetness and goodness.

And as we continue on, God will use us mightily. And we will rejoice and boast in our weakness. But now I'm getting ahead of myself...that's tomorrow's lesson.

Ask Yourself:

What false Jesuses are being proclaimed to me, my children, my family? What should I do about it?

How can I distinguish myself from what is false?

How do I carry my cross? Do others see it?

Pray:

Lord Jesus Christ, my Savior and my Redeemer, I thank you for your cross and the forgiveness you won for me. Protect me always from the deception of the Devil. Guard and protect my loved ones from false prophets and ministers of death. Help me always to be ready to bear my cross for you. Use me to be your true and powerful witness to those around me. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. I thank and pray daily for the shepherds at my church that preach "word & sacrament" and "law & gospel". I am truly blessed by these men and their ministry!

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prayers! It is a privilege to be able to serve. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete