Friday, August 20, 2010

Ichabod

Read Psalm 119:33-40 (He)

Read 1 Samuel 4

What a sad story is the birth of Ichabod! This little newborn's mother, recently widowed, does not even seem joyous at his birth. The grief of her husband's death seems to have set her into labor, and it appears that she is in shock. Never mind all the speculation as to what she might be thinking, feeling, or experience. Her words tell us all we need to know. "The glory of God has left."

And why was it? Because Israel was wicked, especially it's leading priests. Phineas and Hophni had no command from God to go up and fight against the Philistines. Yet they decided to try. And what's worse, they decided to treat the ark of the covenant as a good luck charm. Surely, they thought, it would bring them success in their battle! Funny that they don't give a rip about God's commands or about reverent and appropriate service in God's temple. They didn't care what God said. They didn't care what the people they abused said. They did what they wanted to do, and then trusted in a good luck charm to help them.

Do we treat our crosses as good luck charms? Far be it from us! Of course it is good to have crosses about to remind us of our Savior...so long as they actually do remind us of our Savior! But I should be sufficiently warned by this reading against living however sinfully I darn well please, yet trusting in a piece of jewelry to help me. The cross is not a good luck charm. It is an instrument of torture, an execution devise that killed my Lord.

And I was the one who crucified him.

That's a serious message. That's reason to treat the cross with respect and remember the sacrifice of our Lord. That is reason to cling to the cross with repentance and trusting faith. It's not a charm, but it is forgiveness. It is help and strength in time of need. It is life and peace and joy.

No longer do I need to be an Ichabod - a person unloved, a symbol of departed glory. No, because of Christ, I am God's own son. And through faith you are His son or daughter too. Therefore, let us joyfully walk in his ways!

Pray:

Lord God, let your glory never depart from me! I freely confess my sin and beg you to forgive. Always be near with your mercy as you have promised. Be my help and strength as you have promised. Help me by the might of your Spirit to bring glory to your name in my words and actions, even in the thoughts and feelings of my heart. I am yours. Save me. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment