Friday, August 6, 2010

Entrusted to Us

Sorry, I haven't added any commentary in a while. But hopefully everyone is still caught up with the Bible reading, and with renewed vigor, here we go!

Read Judges 21

Read 2 Corinthians 5

I went back and forth deciding upon what to comment. Judges 21 is messy, just plain messy. 2 Corinthians 5 is so loaded with good stuff, I think there's got to be at least 100 different sermons there. Finally the word that settled upon me was this: "In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God." (v. 19-20)

First we must be gratefully baffled that God would be such a loving as to want to reconcile us. Then we must be thankfully amazed at the manner in which God achieved this reconciliation and provides it to the whole world. The, third, we must be humbly dumbfounded that God uses us to bear that message to others. It is "entrusted to us." The eternal Gospel, with all its sweetness, with its life-giving power, with its mighty, transformational effects, this Gospel is entrusted to us. This is a Word that safely pulls people from the deadly jaws of the Devil, that stomps hell away from our heels, that rams open the gates of heaven that had been shut to us. This Word, this Gospel, is entrusted to me.

To me. Who am I to even touch this Word, or read it, or speak it? Who am I that I should be reconciled the the almighty, omnipotent Creator of the universe? Who am I that he should elect me to be his spokesperson?

Sounds foolish. And it would be if it weren't effective. But apparently, it is! The Bible tells us that we are to be his ambassadors and officially carry his message. The Bible tells us that God works reconciliation through us! Yes, the Holy Spirit works through the Word of God we share.

Can you believe it? Can you really believe it?

I know you do. And so do I. But sometimes I forget to ponder the majesty of that. Sometimes I forget what my duty is, and what power there is in the Word. I must forget sometimes, otherwise I would never hesitate to open my mouth when I know I should and speak the Word of God I know to speak.

I'm going to try today to do better. Put sin behind me. See that I am transformed by this Word. See that this Word in my mouth can reconcile others to God and snatch them away from the teeth of the hungry Devil.

That sounds like a good plan. I hope it is your plan too.

Pray:

Dear Jesus, thank you for being crucified for my forgiveness and rising for my new life. Thank you for forgiving all my sins, including the sin of failing to speak your Word when I ought. Help me, Lord, by the power of your Spirit to learn your Word and take it to heart that I might always be ready to speak this message of reconciliation through you; for you live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment