Thursday, August 12, 2010

Boast in the Lord

Having finished the book of Ruth, let's read a few psalms while we continue with 2 Corinthians 10.

Read Psalm 116

Read 2 Corinthians 10

Let me open, a little bit, the mind of a pastor to you. I don't think you will be surprised. I think that every Christian who desires to boast in the Lord and give him glory, and any person who appreciates the power of the Word will feel this way too.

A pastor is always battling against sinful pride. Paul wants to boast in the Lord (v. 17), that is clear. The Lord has chosen to use Paul as his instrument for carrying the Gospel. Can Paul boast in the Lord because the Lord has used him? Certainly. But Paul might be perceived as boasting too much in himself (v. 8). So Paul says that there are limits to his boasting (v. 13), and is sure to drive home the point at the end that all the glory is God's.

A pastor is always battling against sinful pride. God works through me. But what am I on my own? An earthen vessel, a jar of clay. There are many times I feel like a broken vessel. There are many times I feel (sinfully) proud of my accomplishments, forgetting that it is the Maker who fashioned me, fills me, pours me out, uses me for his purposes.

So Paul is very helpful here to remind me always to give him the glory and the credit. Maybe you will find that helpful today too.

I appreciated the following words from the Lutheran Study Bible...and I share them not to teach others how to treat me, but to remind me what is most important for me to be doing: "Paul's opponents cut him to ribbons and paint themselves in glowing colors, but he presses forward in spiritual warfare, winning souls for Christ against all odds, rejoicing that the Lord prospers his work and opens doors for his ministry, giving all glory to Christ. Dear Christian, do not judge your ministers by the standards of secular business and entertainment, but go by whether they speak with the Shepherd's voice and give His care. As Christ endured the darts of the evil one to rescue the undeserving from his clutches, so Paul and faithful ministers submit to affliction in order to reach the lost and build up the flock." (TLSB p. 1994).

May I always speak with the Shepherd's voice. May you always boast in the Lord. May we always strive on in the Spirit, boldly engaged in the work he has given us to do. And all this is about Christ, for Christ, and in Christ, our Savior and Lord.

Pray:

"Lord, grant us to die to self and live to You, and to be instruments of Your mission, not obstacles in its way. Amen." (TLSB p. 1994).

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment