Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Saved through the Grace of the Lord Jesus"

Read Numbers 25

Read Acts 15

Today, I thought I would comment on the chapter from Acts. I like to think of the council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 as a big Pastors' Conference to sort out true doctrine from heresy.

You see, the early church is still trying to figure out how Christian Jews and Christian Gentiles are supposed to live, interact, and be a church together. In Antioch, Paul and Barnabas were debating Jewish Christians who were insisting that circumcision was necessary for salvation. Paul and Barnabas no doubt argued that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. But that didn't seem to settle it in Antioch. So they sent Paul and Barnabas to the church headquarters in Jerusalem to talk with the apostles and pastors (elders) and see what they had to say.

Peter says it clearly, "Why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?" - namely, the yoke and false teaching that our works righteousness can save us. "But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they [the Gentiles] will." Then they dispatch representatives and a letter to settle the matter in Antioch.

But this is a struggle that still continues. Maybe we don't debate circumcision, but in our personal lives we are constantly labeling other people as "Christian" or "Not-very-Christian." While its true that the Word of God declares some actions to be Godly and some sinful, we cannot act as if someone has to be perfect before we can regard them as a Christian. If that were necessary, then we wouldn't be saved either. (And even Paul and Barnabas today have a sharp disagreement. They were sinners too).

But it is so easy to behold the actions of another and think "That wasn't a very Christian thing to do!" as if Christians weren't sinners. Quite the contrary, Christians do all sorts of sinful things. Not that we rejoice in sin, revel in it, or excuse it. No, we always seek to defeat the power of sin. But when it comes to how we relate to other Christians, it is best to remember that we are sinful too. Others will sin against us, but as Christians we are called to forgive them, remember the "log" in our own eye, so to speak, and to rejoice that those sinners and us are all "saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus," as Peter said.

He gave his life for me. He gave his life for you. We have forgiveness, and strength to live as brothers and sisters in Christ. We have the ability to forgive one another and live in love. Now that's a very Christian thing to do.

Thanks be to God.

Ask Yourself:

What fellow Christian do I love to judge and dislike?

What should my attitude be to that individual?

Why should I be humble about my own righteousness? How can I find the strength to love other sinful Christians?

Pray:

Lord, help me to be humble, recognizing that all I contribute on my own is sin. Help me to be humble recognizing that everything good I do is done by you through me. Lord, help me to be forgiving, loving, and patient with other Christians. Give me opportunities to help them with God's Word. Let me be gentle as I correct or instruct. Help me to be encouraging and to lift up my brothers and sisters in Christ. Thank you that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment