Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All Things to All People

Read Numbers 31

Read Acts 21

Why would Paul, who boldly and powerfully proclaims that we are free from the law, allow himself to be put under a Jewish vow and follow the Jewish customs? I find that remarkable. Some might be quick to accuse Paul of being two-faced, or inconsistent, or hypocritical. Some might, but not James (the leader of the church in Jerusalem) and the other pastors. They are the ones who asked him to do it.

And why did Paul agree? Because he had to be subordinate? No. Paul explains why himself in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 " 19For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings."

He acted in a very Jewish way and voluntarily put himself under Jewish law so that he might win the Jews. Think about that. Paul willingly allowed himself to be inconvenienced for the sake of those he was trying to save. Paul went out of his way to try not to cause offense. He went out of his way to ensure that they would listen to him. In fact, in chapter 22 we'll see Paul preach a sermon to these enraged Jews, and he purposely tries not to inflame them that he might keep their attention as long as possible and communicate as much as he possibly can.

Now in the end, it was God's plan that the unruly crowd there would set events in motion to carry Paul to Rome, but it is remarkable how Paul tries everything he can to win the Jews in Jerusalem.

Do we try so hard? Are we willing to be inconvenienced? Are we willing to go out of our way? Do we try to communicate as much as possible? Do we try to become like the people around us as much as possible (not falling into their sinful lifestyles, however) so that we might win some for Christ?

Of course, not always. But the same Jesus who forgave murderous Saul and changed him to the Apostle Paul forgives and changes us. And Jesus will help us to bear witness concerning himself. So, grateful for the forgiveness and strength we have in Jesus, we can see in Paul an example we are eager to follow.

With that in mind...

Ask Yourself:

Who in my life do I need to reach with the saving message of Christ?

What can I do to reach them - even if it inconveniences me?

Pray:

O Lord, help me like the Apostle Paul to become all things to all people that I might reach some. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment