Saturday, July 10, 2010

Motivations of a Brother

Read Psalm 113

"Sometimes it might seem to us that the good things of this world are overwhelmed by the bad. But the Lord is not overwhelmed. He is exalted on high, and He reaches down low with His salvation" (TLSB p. 958).

Read Joshua 22

I think that this chapter is fascinating and gives us a little insight for our own dealings with brothers and sisters in Christ.

What is so intriguing to me is that one side had proper motivations and wholesome concerns while the other side also had clean hearts and valid concerns, yet the two sides almost end up going to war. The 9 1/2 tribes misunderstood the actions of the 2 1/2 and confronted them. They were prepared to use force, but first they call them to repentance, and even generously offer them portions of their land if settling on the East side of the Jordan was going to be a problem for the 2 1/2 tribes (That sounds like Law and Gospel to me - a warning and a free and generous offer!). The 2 1/2 explain their actions and show that they indeed have true hearts. They were not worshiping a false god. Neither were they worshiping the One True God in an unauthorized way! (They specifically said it was not for sacrifice, which was to be performed in the tabernacle, and later, the temple).

In the end, both sides are satisfied. They were ramped up for conflict but parted as brothers.

I think we can learn a lot from that. I think we too often forget who the enemy is. The enemy is not my brother or sister in Christ. The enemy is not one who has been forgiven, transformed, and given a clean heart. Yes, all believers are still sinners, but we are also saints. Perhaps we take up arms when we should ask. Perhaps we blow the battle trumpet when we should listen. Actually, strike the "perhaps" from the previous sentences. We do these things.

But in Scripture we are encouraged to do good to all people, "especially to those who are of the household of faith!" (Gal. 6:10, emphasis mine, of course). I think we sooner show love to the world then our fellow redeemed brother or sister, especially when are dealing with important church matters. It doesn't mean we always agree, and it doesn't mean everyone is right. And we have to take a firm stand on doctrinal matters. However, when we are dealing with others in church, do we view them as enemies?

But who is the real enemy?

Thanks be to God, that our Savior Jesus has defeated the real enemy, the Devil, and even the sin that still clings to us. Someday we will be completely free of it! I long for that day.

Ask Yourself:

What Christians do I sometimes view as enemies? Can I adjust my perspective?

Can I cut others some slack, remembering that I am a sinner too? Can I give others credit, remembering that they are saints as well?

Am I ready to ask, listen, think, and extend the hand of brotherhood to a Christian with whom I disagree?

Pray:

"Teach me to be patient with others, Lord, so I may not grow tired of doing good. Restore me with unfailing mercy. Amen." (TLSB p. 2012).

Study with me Monday,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment