Thursday, July 22, 2010

Law of Love

Read Judges 8

Read 1 Corinthians 8

Paul begins a discussion that he will carry on into the next chapter as well, that is, a discussion about Christian freedom. In Corinth, the only "restaurants" were pagan temples, where sacrifices were made to false gods, and meals were then prepared and served (I think in the temple and outside on the porch/patio - but I would be willing to be corrected on that). So, when pagans because Christian, the question then becomes this - if there is only One True God, is it acceptable to go to the "restaurant" to eat? After all, the idol the meat was offered to is nothing, has no power, and is not really a god.

Paul basically gives the answer that if a person has that understanding, and their conscience is not bothered by it, then it is not a sin to eat. HOWEVER, Paul adds that we MUST consider our brother or sister. Our actions do not take place in a vacuum. What we do or don't do can seriously impact a fellow Christian. And perhaps someone who is not comfortable with the practice will be seriously bothered or confused by the behavior. They are "weak" in the sense that their conscience is upset and they do not allow themselves the liberty of that behavior.

It is not wrong to eat. It is not wrong to refrain. But it is wrong to act in a way that puts a stumbling block in front of our brother or sister. Now, a stumbling block isn't just something that they don't "like" or even something that in their words "offends" them, but it is something that inhibits their ability to trust in Jesus Christ.

So...this can be a little hard to apply, but maybe some general questions can help us allow this chapter to speak to our lives:

Ask Yourself:

Do I consider the spiritual well-being of my brother or sister in my daily life? Do I realize that my actions affect them?

Do I spend my efforts defending my behavior or acting in love?

Will I gladly refrain from activities that pull my brother or sister away from Christ?

Pray:


"From selfishly seeking our own rights at the expense of others, deliver us, O Lord. From unwittingly leading Your chosen saints into sin, deliver us, O Lord. Stir us up to worship and honor You alone, and through Your Spirit use us to turn others to You. Amen." (TLSB p. 1957).

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!


No comments:

Post a Comment