Monday, July 12, 2010

Farewell Address

Read Psalm 114

Read Joshua 23


Joshua in this chapter gives a farewell address. There are many similar speeches in the Bible. Moses had given his farewell address. And before him the Patriarchs had their farewell speeches (Jacob's comes readily to mind at the end of Genesis). We read several others in the Old Testament, and even in the New Testament, Paul ends his letters in some similar ways. In all of these opportunities for a final exhortation, what do we find? These godly men always warn against idolatry, warn people not to live immorally, and then remind them of God's mercy and might.

This is what we hear Joshua proclaim today. Sadly, Israel would not totally listen. Even thought their ears hear his words and maybe they even take them to heart for a while, in the end they fail to drive out the wicked. They intermarry (and that prohibition was not about race, but about religion), they worship other gods, their sacrifices, their praises, their worship, their living, their choices are disgusting to the One True God. And this is the God who had rescued them from slavery, safely led them through the wilderness, brought them into Canaan, and drove out the people before them!

From this we should be adequately warned not to engage in acts of idolatry (though that is difficult in our world!) Not only should we avoid false gods, but also we should keep our priorities straight, keeping God and his ways as number one. We should also be sufficiently warned not to transgress God's good commands, for they lead us on a path away from God. And when we find ourselves falling short (which we all do), we then ought to run quickly back to the forgiveness of God, and rejoice in his mercy that comes to us in water, wafer, wine, and Word.

And then we can rejoice not only in his forgiveness, but also in his mighty power and deliverance. Joshua promises the people that if God fights for them, then one person can chase off a thousand. Do we believe that? We ought to. Think about that. Imagine that person being you! It's amazing - amazingly true. If you are God's, then you are safe, mighty, courageous, and victorious!

I thank God for the farewell speeches recorded in Scripture. I also thank him for the farewell addresses we hear from other Christian people we know and love.

Makes me wonder...if I have the opportunity to give a farewell address, what would I say? And that's not to be morbid. No, I want to know so that I can do my best to live that way now. Why wait?

Pray:

Gracious Father, thank you for leaders like Joshua who show that you are mighty and powerful, and that you can be trusted above all else. Help me to be courageous like him. Help me to walk in your righteous ways like he did. Thank you for forgiving my sins through the cross, and by your Spirit leading me and guiding me through the cross, as you led Joshua. Help me in my life and death to encourage others, even as Joshua did. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment