Monday, March 8, 2010

Scapegoat

Today we conclude Romans. What a wonderful blessing it has been to study this book! In Leviticus we see how God demands perfection, cleanliness, purity - and he still does demand them. But we also see from reading Romans how that demand is met in Christ, and then his righteousness is imputed to us (that is, it is put into us). We will continue our study of Leviticus until its conclusion, but now we'll make a bit of a shift and study Ecclesiastes along with. But on with our study of the day:

Read Leviticus 16

Read Romans 16

Some people dwell on the word "Azazel" in Leviticus 16 a bit. Some have believed this to be the name of a demon. If memory serves me correctly, this was the name given to the demon in the movie "Fallen." Others have suggested it is the name of a place - and maybe not just one place - but the name of a place of uncleanness and impurity that exists outside the holy camp area. This is probably a better understanding.

The Lutheran Study Bible explains that the Hebrew saying, "Go to Azazel" was like saying, "Go to hell." After all, look what happened to the scapegoat. The sins of the people were put on that goat, and then it was taken outside of the camp to be alone. Alone. In the wilderness. Certain doom.

On the Day of Atonement, both goats - the one slaughtered and the one let go in the wilderness - serve to appease the wrath of God. Both pointed forward to Christ.

We often think of Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. We do well also to think of him as the scapegoat. He took all our sins upon himself. We was then sent to suffer alone on the cross. Alone. Separated from his Father. Certain doom. Hell.

That's what our sin deserves. How dare we ever take sin lightly! The season of Lent reminds us to repent, and many of our sermon themes drive the point home. How appropriate. It's too easy to be comfortable with sin in the privacy of my own home or own mind. How uncomfortable with sin I become when I hear my Lord crying out all alone and in suffering, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

But as stricken with guilt as I am, I ought to be that much more comforted. For Christ arose. His death is my dying to sin. His rising is my rising to new life, even eternal life.

The scapegoat is sent away and the goat for the sacrifice is offered up, and the nation of Israel is spared. So also Jesus suffers alone, Jesus is the bloody sacrifice, and I am forgiven.

Lord, help me to live for you!

Ask Yourself:

How do I forget to take sin seriously?

What sins do I feel comfortable committing? What sins do I tolerate in others?

What can I do today to turn away from sin?

Pray:

"We give You thanks, Lord, for Your abundant mercy. You heard Your people's prayers of repentance and sent Your precious Son to die for all. By His Blood, we are made clean and enter into eternal life with You. Amen." (TLSB p. 190).

Study Ecclesiastes and Leviticus with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment