Thursday, March 4, 2010

Love

Read Leviticus 13

Read Romans 13

If we could love perfectly, we would keep the Commands of God perfectly. Jesus says this, though not with the exact same words. Jesus says that the first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. The second greatest commandment is like it, love your neighbor as yourself. With these two commands, Jesus summarizes the first table of the Law (commandments 1-3) as "Love God," and the second table (commandments 4-10) as "Love your neighbor."

Paul summarizes further. He says that love does no wrong to the neighbor, therefore, "Love is the fulfilling of the law."

If we could love perfectly, we would have no fear of punishment from God. If we could love perfectly we would never fear (just) punishment from civil authorities and government.

If I could love perfectly, I'd be able to serve my wife more, give myself to her as Christ gave himself for us (the Church). If I could love perfectly I would be more patient with my children and bring them up better in the training and instruction of the Lord. If I could love perfectly I would better follow up on church members because they would be on my heart and mind, not on some lost to-do list. If I could love perfectly...

How thankful I am that I have a perfectly loving Savior to love me first, and to continue to love me though I fall far short time and time again - and not just short in the love I show to my neighbors, but in the love I show to Him. If God were to examine my heart like the priests examined leprous spots (Leviticus 13), I would surely be found unclean!

But my Savior, in great undying love for me, shed his blood to cleanse me. Now Jesus, the Great High Priest, declares me clean! And, by the power of His Spirit, he renews my heart.

Now I can live for the Lord. Though I may be frustrated with governing authorities, I can now see that they are God's servants, and I must pay the taxes, honor, and respect that I owe (v. 1-7). And though it may be difficult, I look with caring eyes upon all people and cause them no harm, take nothing from them, but rather serve them and show them love (v. 8-10). And though the world tempts me, I can say no to all the empty pleasure and sinful seductions of this world for my own good and for the good of my neighbor (v. 11-13).

Yes, we have "put on the Lord Jesus Christ" (v. 14) in baptism, therefore everyday we can remind ourselves not to gratify the desires of the flesh, but to live for God's glory.

Ask Yourself:

Whom do you find it difficult to love?

Is it your sin or the other person's that makes it difficult to love them? Did my sin keep Jesus from loving me?

How can I love that person today?

Pray:

"Father, You have loved me in Christ and declared me to be Your righteous child. Empower me to love and serve others through Christ. Amen." (TLSB p. 1937)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Jon,

    I would tend to believe that you are happy that Leviticus 13 is not specifically mentioned in your job description at BSLC! I can picture your office now with a variety of leprosy medical posters on the walls.

    Have a great day in Christ,

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross! There would be rashes and skin diseases all over. Give me my son's diaper any day.

    ReplyDelete