Friday, March 5, 2010

Judging Others

Read Leviticus 14

Read Romans 14


The Christians in Rome during Paul's time had to struggle with how they were supposed to live for Christ. The Jewish Christians had a rich heritage, the Old Testament Scriptures. They had to come to grips with the fact that they were saved by grace through faith, the same way Gentiles were saved. They had to change their thinking so that they would see old laws and practices fulfilled in Christ. Paul assures them in this chapter that it is acceptable to retain some of their former practices, but to realize that they are not required. And the gentiles practiced their faith differently.

So, on what day should they worship? Saturday? Sunday? Should they observe Jewish "holy days"? Should they follow Jewish dietary laws, or should they eat anything and everything as the Gentiles did?

And more than that, how do they coexist with their different, Christian practices?

Paul spends the first part of this chapter exhorting Christians not to be judgmental of each other. We should clarify that we are not talking about practices that are against God's Word. If someone is living contrary to the Will of God, we have the duty to use the Word to call them to repentance and faith. However, when it comes to matters that are not commanded or forbidden in Scripture, we are not to judge. We live out our faith careful not to violate our sanctified conscience, knowing that we are accountable to God. We encourage others to live the same way, but we are careful not to pass judgment on them. We don't always know their motivations. We never know everything another person is thinking, feeling, enduring, going through. We are all servants. Let the master judge.

Then, after the first part where Paul commands us not to judge, he then takes it farther to say that we should be careful not to offend or harm the faith of another. So, not only are we not to judge, but we are to inconvenience ourselves not to cause spiritual harm to another. If we live in love (as Paul encouraged in the previous chapter), then we will be careful to be encouraging, kind, patient, seeking their best interest, helpful, and building up.

Paul has good advice for us today. I am glad that Jesus refused to judge me, but chose to be judged unfairly and to die for me.

If you struggle against sin as I do, the pray with me:
Lord, it is so easy for me to judge others. I seem to think that I know their sinful motivations, but it is so hard for me to see how they are living out their faith. I never tolerate it when others offend me, but I have no problem causing offense. Too often I see my brother or sister in Christ as my enemy, rather than sin, death, and the devil. Help me, Lord, to be loving and patient and kind always. Lord, have mercy.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment