Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Read Leviticus 23

Read Ecclesiastes 7

There are many things to ponder in Ecclesiastes 7 today, but the verse that jumped out at me was this: 7:14 "In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him."

First, we are encouraged to be joyful in the day of prosperity. It sounds like a no-brainer, but it isn't always. Even when life is going along well for us, we can be fearful of the future, worried about sudden disaster, or concerned about what might be waiting just around the bend in the road of life. So, we might forget to be joyful. Or, (and this probably happens more often) we can be apathetic and forget to give God the thanks and praise we owe him. In the day of prosperity, let us rejoice, for it is a gift of God from his grace and mercy for us, his dearly loved children.

But then, if we accept days of joy and prosperity from him (and we should) then we should also be willing to accept the day of adversity. This seems completely contrary to our way of thinking. God is love. God gives us good gifts. God wants to help and bless his children always. Yet, God sends us adversity? Yes, he does. Many people are unwilling to accept this. In fact, when bad things come into our life we like to explain it away with the phrase, "God has allowed this in my life." But that is not how Solomon puts it. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived by the way, says that "God has made" the day of adversity.

So, shall we accept the prosperity but not the adversity? Far be it from us. Now, why God sends (or allows if you cannot talk like Solomon) certain trials, crosses, and afflictions into our lives we may not be able to say specifically. However, we can confess that God does what is good for us, that he is able to strengthen us to endure affliction, and that he seeks to make us grow.

Jesus encourages us to take up our cross and follow him. And that is difficult. Jesus certainly experienced joy in his earthly life, and he no doubt thanked his Father. But Jesus also suffered the day of adversity. And for Jesus, it meant complete abandonment, hell, and death. Because he accepted the harshest day of adversity there ever could be, we will not have to. We have eternal salvation and everlasting life promised to us through Jesus. With that future before us, what is a little hardship now? It is a small thing for me to endure for my Lord who saved me!

Ask Yourself:

What afflictions am I facing right now?

How will God strengthen me to endure? What will he use to help me?>

For what can I give God thanks and praise today?

Pray:

Lord, this I ask, O hear my plea,
Deny me not this favor:
When Satan sorely troubles me,
Then do not let me waver.
O guard me well,
My fear dispel,
Fulfill Your faithful saying:
All who believe
By grace receive
An answer to their praying.

When life's brief course on earth is run
And I this world am leaving,
Grant me to say, "Your will be done,"
Your faithful Word believing.
My dearest Friend,
I now commend
My soul into Your keeping;
From sin and hell,
And death as well,
By You the vict'ry reaping.

(LSB 758:3-4, Public Domain)

No comments:

Post a Comment