Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Commend Joy

Read Leviticus 24

Read Ecclesiastes 8

It is a good thing to find joy in our vocations. Solomon proclaims a great many things to be empty and meaningless (vanity!), but he says, "I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun."

Yes, there is labor. Yes, there is the weary repetition of getting up, getting showered, eating breakfast, getting the kids ready and on the bus or in the car. There is the commute to work. There is the stress of the job. There is cooking, cleaning, maintaining, repairing, mowing the yard (yes, yard work is soon upon us). There are a thousand wearinesses in life. The same tiring routine of sleeping and waking, eating and evacuating, breathing in and breathing out.

And all would be vanity, if not for joy in Jesus Christ. And to the world, even our joy looks like vanity - for the wicked live long and some of the righteous are cut short in this life. But Solomon knows that true joy that comes from the Lord ("it will be well with those who fear God" v. 12), and this joy is not vain. It is a great gift, an incredible blessing.

One of the strengths of Lutheranism, I believe, is the understanding that our vocations are redeemed and sanctified by Christ. What I mean is that whatever is your occupation (so long as it isn't inherently sinful) can be performed now by the Christian for the glory of God. In fact, being Christians should make us better workers, because we do not steal time in laziness, we do not cheat our employer with dishonesty, and we are driven to work well, doing all things "for the glory of God."

So, what is your vocation? Are you a husband, wife, father, mother, brother, sister, worker, boss, or friend? How do you perform this vocation (or, rather, these vocations) for the glory of God? Do you perform them with joy? Of course we won't enjoy everything about our jobs, and not every task will be pure happiness to us. But can we still have joy in our toil, knowing that we suffer a little for our Lord, and we work hard for his glory? You bet we can. And Solomon says that attitude is commendable.

So, weary worker, toil on, but toil on with joy.

Pray:

Lord, there are many tasks I am asked to do everyday that I loathe. Help me to perform these tasks willingly and with great joy, knowing that I perform them to your glory. Grant me happiness in my work, and even if I should feel unsatisfied with my place and life, give me true joy in Jesus Christ so that I might cope. Help me bear this temporary burden cheerily as I look forward to the eternal life of peace, rest, and joy in heaven, through Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment