Thursday, January 7, 2010

Slavery

Read Proverbs 15:17-33

Read Exodus 21

Yesterday we heard along with the Israelites the 10 Commandments, which are a holy and good summary of God's moral law. To live within this Law is to live and thrive and benefit. To transgress this Law is death.

Today we begin to hear other laws that God put in place for Israel. These are often called civil and ceremonial laws, that is, laws that have to do with the worship life and the societal life of Israel. Because Israel was a theocracy, that is a nation governed by God himself, they were given instructions by God through Moses. These laws do not necessarily directly apply to us, partially because the Law of God is fulfilled in Christ, partially because we are not a theocracy.

However, we still benefit from reading these laws because they are tied to God's moral law, and because through them we see God's love and God's justice.

Today we read God's laws regarding slavery. Let me quote from the Lutheran Study Bible (as I have been known to do) since this is a succinct and well written description of "slavery in the Bible," concerning which some are greatly troubled because of their misunderstanding.

I quote:

"The Scriptures do not endorse or promote the practice of people holding other human beings as personal property. The Bible typically treats slavery in a negative light. 'Freedom' through God's saving grace is a dominant theme in both testaments."

"Where the Bible speaks of slavery continuing among God's people (who were themselves slaves for nearly five centuries [in Egypt]), slavery appears as a temporary allowance for human weakness rather than a perpetual, God-given right. Following the exodus, the Law of Moses permitted the holding of even Israelite slaves, but only for a period of six years - slaves were to be released at the beginning of every seventh year (Ex. 21:2). God's personal interaction with slaves seems to be one of kindness and compassion...God extended His grace, love, and forgiveness not only to free persons but also to slaves (as in the covenant of circumcision in Gn 17:1-14, especially v 13, and the Passover in Ex 12:44)."

"In Christ, we have been delivered by God's mighty hand and outstretched arm, a hand and an arm that once were bound to a cross but are now raised in blessing. God heard our cry for mercy and sent us a deliverer...who has crushed the chains of oppression under His feet. In God's Son, we are 'free indeed' (Jn 8:36). Paul sums up who and what we are because of Christ in these words: 'For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery' (Gal 5:1)." (TLSB, p. 101).

Therefore, I say:

We’ll boldly share the love of Christ,
Whose mission was to save!
Sent down in love to find the lost
And pay with blood the ransom cost,
He bought each sin-bound slave
And freed us from the grave!

Ask Yourself:

What sins tend to re-enslave me again? Lust, greed, covetousness, pride, fear, worry, anger, grudge-bearing, others?

The forgiveness of Christ has set you free from sin and its power. How do I live in that freedom?

Where will I go for strength? God's Word? God's House? A Christian friend? A Christian family member? My pastor?

Pray:

God loves me dearly,
Grants me salvation,
God loves me dearly,
Loves even me.
Therefore I’ll say again:
God loves me dearly,
God loves me dearly,
Loves even me.

I was in slavry,
Sin, death, and darkness;
God’s love was working
To make me free.
Therefore I’ll say again:
God loves me dearly,
God loves me dearly,
Loves even me.

(LSB 392:1-2, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Jon,

    Since you are to humble to "cite" the author of "Boldy Share the Love of Christ", I will. YOU! That is a beautiful hymn/prayer. Continued blessings on your authorship of additional hymns as well as this Bible Study.

    A Servant,

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin. Continued blessings on you as well as you continue to study the Word and serve God in your vocation!

    ReplyDelete