Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Idolatry

Read Proverbs 21:1-16

Read Exodus 32

Oh, such a terrible thing, this golden calf! Not very many days ago they trembled as they heard the voice of God exclaim "You shall have no other gods!" Yet, here they are, thinking Moses was gone, thinking they needed some sort of object they could worship.

We see today that God hates sin. He is a just God, a jealous God, one who demands perfection. This ought to warn us severely. This should put the "fear of God in us," so to speak. Will we quickly throw away his commandments as well? God forbid!

What's interesting in this chapter is in verse 7, in his anger God talks to Moses and refers to Israel as "your people," that is Moses' people. The pronoun is striking. God had over and over in Genesis declared that Abraham and his decedents would be his, calling them "my people," and saying things like "I will be their God and they will be my people." Obviously, their wicked rebellion has disqualified them from being his people.

But then something even more interesting happens. Moses pleads with God to keep his promises anyway. In verse 11 Moses pleads with God for Israel, calling them "your people," that is, God's people. He reminds him of the promises he made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He reminds him of the glory that belongs to the Lord because of the victory over Egypt. Should all that go away? Moses even pleads that he (Moses) be blotted out of God's book of Life so that the people might be saved (in v. 32).

But it is not for Moses to be damned for the people. That job would be for another, One greater than Moses. Yes, despite our sin and idolatry, God keeps his covenant and redeems us. Jesus gave up his perfect life for us, to become our sin for us, to suffer, bleed, and die for us, that we might be forgiven and given new life.

So, just like the Levites clamored over to Moses to declare that they are on the Lord's side, so too we (yes, even we sinners) by faith are eager and quick to proclaim our belief in our Savior Jesus Christ. By his grace we are justified, and by faith we grasp it and live. Thanks be to God.

Ask Yourself:

What idolatrous acts do I tend to commit? That is, what tends to take the place of God in my life?

In light of Exodus 32, how do I feel about God's justice? How do I feel about his grace?

What can I do to better keep God the number one priority in my life?

Pray:

Lord, you are my Savior, my God. I want to have no other gods. Forgive me all my idolatrous sins. Strengthen me by your Spirit to fear, love, and trust in you above all things. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment