Monday, January 25, 2010

Giving Restrained

Read Proverbs 23:1-21

Read Exodus 36

The contributions continued each day as the skilled men began to work on building the tabernacle and the furnishings. The craftsmen reported to Moses that they had more than enough. We read in Ex. 36:

"'The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the LORD has commanded us to do.' So Moses gave command, and word was proclaimed throughout the camp, 'Let no man or woman do anything more for the contribution for the sanctuary.' So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more."

How often do we need to be retrained in our giving?

I don't know that I've ever given too much. I can tell you that there have been times when I have received something from someone (maybe a Christmas present) who didn't have very much to begin with. I feel bad even accepting it. But if I try to refuse, they become indignant!

For some there is no refusing and no restraining. I doubt there would have been any stopping of the widow as she gave her mites. God knows. God will provide.

Here the people give more than enough for the tabernacle. They give joyously, freely, generously until the project was more than provided for. When God moves the heart to give, to pass on what he has given, then great things happen. Construction begins. Resources are used for God's glory. The Lord continues to work.

What a joy it is for me to be able to give to my church and elsewhere to spread the Good News of our giving God, and to provide for the needs of other people. Jesus, though he was rich, became poor for us, that we might become the righteousness of God. What a gift! And what a joy it is to be part of his work!

Pray:

We give Thee but Thine own
Whate'er the gift may be
All that we have is Thine alone
A trust, O God, from Thee.

Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment