Wednesday, February 10, 2010

With Man, It Is Impossible

Read Proverbs 30:1-14

Most encouraging in this reading from Proverbs today are the verses that clearly point to Jesus Christ. Agur (and we don't really know who he is) speaks prophetically about the Holy One of God, whom we would later know to be Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, the Christ. Agur points out that wisdom is knowledge of Him (v. 3). He even speaks in a riddle form to lead us to the right question concerning the One True God: "What is his name, and what is his son's name? Surely you know!" (v. 4). His name is Yahweh, the Covenant God of Israel (OT) and the Church (NT). His Son is Jesus Christ, the beginning and the end, the very wisdom of God. And we have assurance that the Word of God concerning Him and all of us, will prove to be right. "Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." (v. 5). What encouragement for us CHRISTians. Jesus is the answer. He is wisdom. His Word is true. In fact, he is the Word of God incarnate. By His death he defeats death. By His resurrection we too have everlasting life.

Read Mark 10

There are so many things we could talk about here, but the point I would like to make concerns Jesus' conversation with the rich man. His point is not just that it is difficult for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God (because many are seduced into materialism rather than faith in Jesus). His point is that it is difficult for anyone to enter. That's why the disciples are afraid and discouraged and ask how it is possible for anyone to be saved? Jesus' answer clearly shows that the work of conversion and salvation is God's, and His alone.

With man, salvation is impossible. This is why Luther says, "I believe that I CANNOT by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him, but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel..." We make the same confession.

And this is also why our witness to the world matters. The truth is, we have the Gospel, which is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe. Yes, there is a hell, and people are bound for it, just like we were. But this same Gospel that called us to faith also, "calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth," (thanks, Luther!). So, we are to be about spreading this Gospel. Sometimes this means first calling comfortable sinners to repentance before we share the Good News. Sometimes, people are already prepared so we can comfort afflicted sinners with the Good News.

With man, salvation is impossible. But with God, it is not only possible, but it happens all over the world. God does the impossible even through me as I share the Gospel!

Ask Yourself:

Of those around me, who is comfortable in their wicked ways? How can I be a good influence to them, even showing them the error of their sinful ways?

Of those around me, who is hurting and afflicted and ready to hear the Good News of Jesus' love? How can I share that Good News with them?

What else can I do today to help and support others as they share the Good News?

Pray:

O Lord, you give me opportunities to boldly speak your Word. Give me also the words to say and the courage to say it. You have called me by the Gospel and given me salvation. I rejoice and thank you! Now also use me to call others by the Gospel. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment