Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rescue from this Body of Death

Read Leviticus 7

Read Romans 7


What a comfort that Paul struggled too. I am not happy that he still sinned, but I am comforted knowing that disciples of Jesus, even the great "super-apostle" Paul, is saint and sinner at the same time. Paul acknowledged that there was internal war within him. Disgusted with himself, he desired to live for the Lord and stop sinning altogether, but the sin in him still did works of death.

I too know the frustration and disgust. How I like to get up in the morning and determine to be a loving husband, a caring and careful pastor, patient with my children, strong, helpful, and the like. How I want to show all the fruits of the Spirit, to be loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, and self-controlled. How I like to get up in the morning and pray Luther's morning prayer, where I ask God to "keep me this day also from sin and every evil."

But at the end of the day, the list of what I accomplished looks far different from what I set out to do. No wonder Luther in his evening prayer teaches us to pray, "forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong." Luther must have known the frustration too.

It's a constant battle, an everyday struggle. The good I do is because Christ lives in me (Thank you, Lord!). The bad I do is because sin still is in me. What a wretch I am. Who will rescue me from this body of death?

Jesus will. Thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ! He has kept the law perfectly on my behalf. And his Spirit is stronger than my sin. He is still at work within me to help me to resist temptation, to fight against the sinful nature, to defeat the devil.

Yes, victory is mine (and yours). We have victory from this body of death. We will have everlasting life. Thanks be to God!

Ask Yourself:

What are my struggles? What sins tend to tempt me?

How can I better rely on God's strength today?

What can I do to help others rejoice in this rescue of Jesus Christ?

Pray:

But since my strength will nevermore suffice me
To crucify desires that still entice me,
To all good deeds O let Thy Spirit win me
And reign within me!

And when, dear Lord, before Thy throne in heaven
To me the crown of joy at last is given,
Where sweetest hymns Thy saints forever raise Thee,
I, too, shall praise Thee.

(LSB 439:11, 15, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment