Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Excellent Wife

Read Mark 13

Read Proverbs 31:10-31

Some people are offended by this the last bit of wisdom from the book of Proverbs. I think they are offended because they perceive this to be saying, "Here is the woman's place!" Ha! They don't have understanding. The author of this section of Scripture (whoever he might be) obviously has an excellent wife and is giving her the praise she is due.

This section of Scripture instructs Godly men in what to look for in a spouse. And what, exactly, is that? The Lutheran Study Bible sums it up pretty well, "Everything she does is for her family and, by extension, her community. She lives and works for the well-being and livelihood of others. She is not interested in promoting her own self-worth, but her worth is demonstrated by her service, which is ultimately motivated by her love for God. Such a woman should be treasured and honored" (TLSB p. 1046, emphasis added).

And she should also be praised! I have an excellent wife. So let me cite parts of this proverb and give thanks to God by honoring my wife. If you have an excellent wife or husband, give thanks to God along with me. If you have a husband or wife who is not Godly, then pray that God would strengthen you to win them over with your love and faithful example (1 Cor. 7:12-16). If you are still waiting for a Godly husband or wife, then patiently bear this cross. God will do what is best and will answer your prayer in time. You can do plenty to live for the Lord in the meantime (1 Cor. 7:32-35).

But, if you are interested in hearing about my excellent wife, read on. Happy Valentine's Day, my love!

"The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." My wife is trustworthy and faithful. She is true to me and does what she says.

"She does him good, and not harm." Thanks for not strangling me, though I know sometimes I deserve it!

"She provides food for her household." She is an excellent cook. And she does the grocery shopping. Thanks!

"She considers a field and buys it." Ok, she hasn't bought one yet. But, she does take care of a lot of the business of the household, carefully researching, and guiding us to make good investments and purchases.

"Her lamp does not go out at night." Thanks for folding laundry while I'm snoring on the couch!

"She opens her hand to the poor." She is compassionate and kind. She is a help to those in need.

"She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet." Ok, she hates snow. But she makes sure the boys have clothes that fit, hats, gloves, coats, and mittens!

"She makes bed coverings for herself." Well, she bought ours. Brown and light blue. Very nice.

"She laughs at the time to come." Ok, she worries some. But she is always prepared!

She opens her mouth with wisdom." She is almost always right. Even when I'm right, she's right. : )

"She does not eat the bread of idleness." She is always busy - a hard worker!

"Her children rise up and call her blessed." They better, or they will hear from their father! Oh, and now is a good time to praise my grandmothers (now in Glory), also my mother for her selfless and unconditional love, and also my mother-in-law - all Godly women! I'm am blessed by them all.

"Her husband...praises her." Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all! I love you!

"A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."

Amen! Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment