Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ready Or Not, Here I Come!

Read Proverbs 30:15-33

Read Mark 11

What can we learn from the lesson of the withered fig tree? Well, it's kind of like the child's game Hide and Seek. When the seeker is ready, the child yells loudly, "Ready or not, here I come!" And the search begins.

When Jesus curses the fig tree he is teaching his disciples (including us) that judgment is coming. God looks for fruit. Each of our lives is in God's hands. We have our "time of grace" so to speak. When our time is up, Jesus comes for us. In a sense he says, "Ready or not, here I come!" And he is looking for fruit.

What does this look like? It could be that we die of "natural" causes in our old age. It could be that we are taken suddenly now. It could be that God will permit a disaster that will claim many at one time, though we can not understand his ways (and we should be careful not to speak for God, giving reasons for what he does or allows). It could be that the Last Day comes, and Jesus returns to judge the living and the dead. So, in a sense, it is "Ready or not, here I come!" When Jesus comes, will he find fruit?

We baptized believers need not fear. This should be no cause for alarm. We understand that we are saved by the sacrificial death of Jesus, our sins are forgiven, we have new life in the Spirit, and we do abide in Jesus, and he in us, and therefore we bear much fruit (John 15). And we earnestly seek to continue to repent of our sins and strive to do better as we live for God's glory, honor, and praise.

And we will be reminded to be alert by readings such as these, even reminders in our secular world. The other day the alarm woke me up. The song that was playing when it turned on was (I think by Nickelback) "If Today Was Your Last Day." The song is about seizing the moment - not necessarily Christian message, but not necessarily bad either. As a child of God I thought about that upon waking. What would I do today if it was my last day?

I concluded that I would go to church (it was a Sunday) as planned, serve my family in the afternoon as planned, spend an enjoyable time with Christian friends at a Superbowl party as planned, and live for the Lord in whatever opportunities presented themselves, and I was content with that. "Ready or not, here I come" doesn't need to send us into a panic, but for those of us with fruitful lives, it does remind us that we don't really have time for sin, for greed, for coveting, for laziness, for selfish gain, for anything that would prevent us from producing the fruitful life of faith.

Ready or not, Jesus is coming to take us home to heaven. So, my friends, remain in the Word, remain in Jesus, and you will bear much fruit!

Ask Yourself:

What useless or sinful activities can I or should I cut out of my day so I can be more fruitful?

What good deeds (fruit) can I add into my regular routine?

What can I do to help my family do the same?

Pray:

Rooted deep in Christ our Master,
Christ our pattern and our goal,
Teach us, as the years fly faster,
Goodness, faith, and self-control.

Fruitful trees, the Spirit's tending,
May we grow till harvests cease;
Till we taste, in life unending,
Heaven's love and joy and peace.

(LSB 691:3-4)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment