Friday, November 5, 2010

Do You?

Read Job 39

Read 1 Kings 15


God has finally begun to speak (in Job 38) and he answers Job from the midst of a tempest. God's words at the end of this marvelous book give Job and all of us a good does of humility. I think a lot of times we like to think of God as our buddy, but he is much more than that. Yes, Jesus does say in the book of John that he has called us friends. But lest we get to casual in our sin and arrogance, we must also remember that Jesus isn't just our buddy, he is God Almighty. Through Him all things were made!

And in Job 39 God challenges Job (and us) to consider some of his marvelous works. The mountain goat, the wild donkey, the wild ox, the ostrich, the war horse, the hawk - all of them are marvelous creations. We can learn and learn and learn about these and other creatures, but we will still not fully know them, understand them, predict them, tame them, or animate them the way God does.

God continues to challenge Job by saying "do you" know this or "can you" do that. The answer is obviously that no human can know what God knows, do what he does, or rule like he does. Compared to God, man is insignificant.

And we need that humility lest we become proud toward God, lest we think that we have it all figured out, that we can control our own destiny, that we are the center of the universe. Do we understand God and his ways? Can we manipulate him, or get him to follow our ways? Can we assert ourselves before God the Almighty Father?

No. There's the dose of humility that we need.

And then we can rejoice that no one - no human - is insignificant to a loving Savior. We should have been little insects that God judged and threw away, but that's not what happened. In love, the Creator of all looked down on us and loved us. He sent his Son so that, dying on the cross, he might rescue us and remake us, recreate us.

And, God is pleased to be persuaded by our prayers, just as earthly parents allow themselves to be persuaded by their children because they love them.

And so, every time you read about something in God's creation and are amazed, every time you watch a show about animals or the ocean life or the stars in the far reaches of the galaxy, any time you are astounded by the height, breadth, depth, and variety of creation rejoice that God is mighty, powerful, and merciful!

Ask Yourself:

What specific parts of creation astound me? Can I learn more about it, and use that as a springboard for witnessing?

Do I sometimes feel insignificant to God? Should I?

Do I also feel valuable to God? How can I remind myself of God's dying love for me?

Pray:

O Lord, Heavenly Father, Maker of Heaven and Earth, I am astounded by the works of your hand. Surely your works are incredible, and your ways astonishing. I rejoice to see this Creation you have made out of nothing, and I am humbled. Yet, consider me in my lowliness. For the sake of Christ, regard your lowly servant. Cast me not away from your presence, but create in me a clean heart. Restore to me the joy of my salvation, and renew a right spirit within me. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment