Thursday, October 14, 2010

God is Faithful

In Job, the "friends" continue to draw their incorrect conclusion that Job's suffering is a direct result of particular sin. Today, Zophar asserts that the wicked go quickly (and graphically!) into destruction. Job will argue in our reading tomorrow that indeed the wicked do prosper (in this life)! We must look to God for divine retribution. It is not so easily played out before our eyes, so we should be careful how we judge and interpret suffering! Keep that in mind as you read. I'll have a longer comment on the 2 Samuel reading. So, let's get started...

Read Job 20

Read 2 Samuel 20

King David was no perfect person. He's made many mistakes. And, in fact, we will see him make another critical mistake (sin!) in chapter 2 Samuel 24. There has been lust, adultery, selfishness, violence, murder, and probably a whole lot of other sins. (Hmm...what does our list look like?)

But though David is sinful, God is faithful. Our tale today is a gruesome account of another rebellion against David that is squashed in part by Joab, and mostly by a faithful unnamed woman who apparently had a lot of honor and respect in the city.

What's the point? The point is that God is keeping his promise to David. The sword would not depart from David, but David's offspring would be a king of peace. We will see that partially fulfilled in Solomon (whose name means peace), but ultimately fulfilled in Jesus of Nazareth, Son of David, King of all. Without these violent actions in our reading today, without God's intervention to squash the wicked and keep his gracious promises, then the royal line would be in jeopardy. But David is preserved. His kingship is secure. And God is at work. God is faithful.

It reminds me of 2 Timothy 2 "The saying is trustworthy, for: If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself" (v. 11-13).

Heproves to be faithful in our reading today, and ultimately in the death and resurrection of his Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Therefore, let us confess our sins, repent of our wickedness, turn to him in mercy. God who is faithful will forgive and keep all his gracious promises to us, his baptized children!

Isn't that Good News? Thanks be to God!

Ask Yourself:

How have I been unfaithful and faithless lately? What shall I confess to God today?

How can I constantly live in the love and forgiveness of God?

What can I do to better fight against that sin in my life?

Pray:

O God, my faithful God,
True fountain ever flowing,
Without whom nothing is,
All perfect gifts bestowing:
Give me a healthy frame,
And may I have within
A conscience free from blame,
A soul unstained by sin.

Grant me the strength to do
With ready heart and willing
Whatever You command,
My calling here fulfilling;
That I do what I should
While trusting You to bless
The outcome for my good,
For You must give success.

(LSB 696:1-2, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment