Friday, June 11, 2010

Planted in the House of the Lord

Read Deuteronomy 32

Read Psalm 92

Luther helps paraphrase Psalm 92 for us:

"The 92nd psalm is a psalm of comfort that extols God's Word as the most highly exalted and precious gift against the false saints, whom it attacks. They certainly flower for a time, glorious and powerful, but finally they perish. However, the righteous will remain forever. Although they come to an old age, they shall yet never be old, but they will become young daily through God's Word, which always conveys fruit and new growth. But fools neither consider nor understand these things, as we also see today in our own time." (Reading The Psalms with Luther, CPH).

And we see this in our time too! Everything is treasured by our society except the Word of God. But we know better. And what an encouragement we find in this psalm. Sometimes we feel old, tired, worn out. We feel frustrated, unfulfilled, unhappy. We are disgusted by the success of evil people. We long to see justice done.

But here we are reminded that we baptized children of God who dwell in the Word are constantly refreshed. We are made to be fruitful, because we are connected to Jesus Christ, the Vine who feeds and nourishes us and gives us new life. Even in old age, we can show the fruits of faith, and live in love, proclaim the Lord, pray, praise, and give thanks. We can trust and hope and truly thrive!

Thanks be to God, that we sinners are forgiven through the cross of Christ, and are full of life. We are not dried up and dead, but we are green and full of sap!

So, enlivened by God's grace, let us live for him this day!

Ask Yourself:

When do I feel dried up and dead?

What does God do to change that around? What can I do to be more regular in the Word?

What fruits of faith will God grow in me this day?

Pray:

My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine.
Now hear me while I pray;
Take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!

My Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart;
My zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh, may my love to Thee
Pure, war, and changeless be,
A living fire!

(LSB 702:1-2, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment