Thursday, September 17, 2009

God Remembered

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

A quick note before we begin our study: Blogspot sends me an email when someone posts a comment, so I always know if someone has a question or devotional thoughts to share. I don't think all the readers have that luxury (to my knowledge), so if you post a comment or question remember to check back to see if I or anyone else has replied.

Oh, and if you think you are following a Bible study blog of a guy who has all the answers, then you need to find a different blog. I'll tell you what I know, and what I think, but I do NOT have all the answers, and sometimes I might be flat out wrong (because of my sin and human limitations). That's when interaction is not only encouraged but especially necessary. I always remain willing to stand corrected by Scripture and sound reason. (If Luther was willing to do that, then most certainly so should I!)

On that note, we begin. (Brief comments on the two readings are separate)

Read Psalm 8

Meditation:


How good and pleasing it is to God when we see his creation, the works of his hands and praise him for their existence, their beauty, and their majesty. So inspired by the majestic heavens (interstellar space) we are amazed at God's power. What a glorious and majestic God we have who sparked the nuclear fission of the sun (which I understand requires more energy to begin than it gives off), who set the comets hurtling through space, and set the moon gliding on its elliptical path around the earth. When we consider the sheer size and complexity of space, we by contrast often feel small and insignificant.

This Psalm builds that feeling with us, then reminds us that man, seemingly insignificant man (male and female), is the crown of God's creation. We are more valuable than any of God's other works. The heavens will be rolled up like a garment and put away, but we will live forever (through Christ)! We are cared for by God, more important than the sheep, oxen, and beasts of the field over which we have dominion.

Though we have fallen in sin, it is through the Son of God that we are restored to the crown of creation. It is because of Jesus, to whom little children sang "Hosanna to the Son of David" in fulfillment of Psalm 8:2 (see Matthew 21:16), that God regards us and cares for us. Jesus, who humbled himself lower than the heavenly beings is now exalted above all things, and we with him. He fulfills Psalm 8:5 (see Hebrews 2:6-8). How majestic Jesus' name certainly is in all the earth! (see Philippians 2:10).

Read Genesis 8

Pay special attention to the quick phrase, "God remembered." We want God to remember. Several psalms call out for God not to forget, but to remember his lowly servant. Elsewhere in Scripture we see that God "remembers" his people or the covenant he made with them. When God "remembers" he is staying true to his nature - his nature not to change, his nature to be gracious, his nature to recall and fulfill his promises.

So God did not abandon Noah and his family and the menagerie on the ark. No. God remembered.

When it seems that God is distant, that he is forgetful, that he has neglected (maybe focusing on the sun and moon, distracted from insignificant me), then Genesis 8 reminds me that God remembers. He is a gracious God who does not renege on his promises. He does not forget like we who in our cluttered minds forget this task or that one. He does not have to triage the problems of this world, or prioritize because he cannot accomplish all things. No, he is able, and he remembers. His promise was kept to Noah, and Noah's family and all creation benefited form that promise remembered.

Oh may he remember me in my lowly and needy estate! Oh may he remember all his gracious promises to me. And may I always remember that his promises of forgiveness, life, and salvation are certain!

Ask Yourself:

What about Creation amazes and astounds me? Does it move me to worship? Does it move me to consider my place in this universe?

Do I feel as if God has forgotten? What do I need to ask God to remember?

Do I remind myself of God's commands and his love? What can I do better to remind myself?

Pray:

Pray from your heart today. Thank him and praise him for things in Creation that move you, impress you, or stimulate your thinking and your worship. Thank God for always remembering you and keeping his promises to you. Ask him to help you in every need.

Study with me tomorrow.

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!



2 comments:

  1. Pastor Jon,

    Two thumbs up on this blog!

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I needed discipline and commitment for my own benefit. This tool keeps me accountable. And if it helps others too, well, that's an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete