Monday, November 14, 2011

I Love it When a Plan Comes Together!

Read Genesis 23-24


There are so many things in this account for which we could give God praise: the faith of Abraham's servant, his trusting prayer, that God answered even while the servant was still speaking, that Rebekah was beautiful inside just as she was outside, that she was ready to serve and do the Lord's will, that her family was willing to let her go because they recognized the hand of the Lord, and probably much more! It is an incredible account.

What a contrast this account is when compared to the waiting and the struggles that Abraham and Sarah had to endure. There are times when, like Abraham and Sarah, we might wonder how long we must suffer and how much we must endure until God's plans begin to move us to a different place in life where we can find relief, even happiness and rejoicing. But then there are also times in our lives when we get an answer from God much sooner than we would have imagined, and it is a gracious answer that is cause for much rejoicing!

Oh, if only all of life were like that! The servant goes, he prays, God sends Rebekah, the deal is arranged, she comes with him, she meets Isaac, he loves her, and they live happily ever after! Well, not happily ever after, actually. There are troubles ahead.

But I think sometimes in our own lives our joy is tempered by "real life." Let it not be so! Though we all know troubles are ahead of us, instead of letting those troubles hamper our joy now, let's allow the joy now to overflow within us, and let it encourage us and inspire use even throughout the times of troubles.

Yes, maybe later Rebekah will be encouraged when her sons give her grief to remember how earlier God graciously answered prayer and gave her a husband to love and care for her. Maybe she will remember that God directed her ways and in such an incredible way provided for her.

May we also give thanks to God in times of joy, and not let that joy be squashed by fear and worry. God is good. And sometimes his plans come together in an instant. May joy over his gracious work give us peace and comfort in times of waiting.

Ask Yourself:

What were some times in my life when prayers were answered instantly, and God's gracious hand was clearly visible?

What were some times in my life when I wondered if God was at work at all?

How can I use my stories of God's answered prayers in my life to encourage another who is struggling, waiting, hurting?

Pray:

Lord, Thee I love with all my heart;
I pray Thee, ne'er from me depart, With tender mercy cheer me.
Earth has no pleasure I would share.
Yea, heav'n itself were void and bare If Thou, Lord, wert not near me.
And should my heart for sorrow break,
My trust in Thee can nothing shake.
Thou art the portion I have sought;
Thy precious blood my soul has bought.
Lord Jesus Christ, my God and Lord, my God and Lord,
Forsake me not! I trust Thy Word.

(LSB 708:1, Public Domain)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment