Monday, March 14, 2011

Expensive Grace

Ok, so apparently I am very human (not that any of us had any doubt about that!) and have not been diligent in posting thoughts on this Bible study tool. I pray you all are continuing to read the Word daily even if I don't post some thoughts. But here I go with renewed effort in the hopes that it will be beneficial to myself, if not to 1 or 2 other people...

Read Jeremiah 7

Read John 1


In Jeremiah 7 we have a very strong rebuke against willfully continuing in sin. It is an appropriate warning to hear in this penitential season of Lent. God cries out through the prophet to the people of his day and also to us, "Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, 'We are delivered!'— only to go on doing all these abominations?" (v. 9-10)

That's a challenging question for us. Especially we regular church goers. It's easy to go to church every Sunday, hear God's forgiveness, and not go through all the "work" of examination and repentance. And worse than a lack of preparation before worship is a lack of follow-through afterward. The forgiving grace of God is our most precious possession, but we cheapen it when we treat it so casually that we would continue on in all the sin that sent our Savior to the cross.

As we begin now also reading through the book of John, we see in the beginning of the Gospel that John the Baptist clearly points out Jesus as the Messiah. But what kind of Messiah would this be? This is the "Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29). This Jesus is the spotless Lamb, without defect or blemish, who would bear the guilt of our sins, and would be slaughtered for us. And the blood of Jesus cleanses us from every sin (1 John 1:7).

Let's not cheapen grace by willfully continuing on in sin. For we are purchased and won from death and the devil, not with gold or silver, but with Jesus' holy, precious blood and his innocent suffering and death!

Ask Yourself:

Do I continue on stealing, hating, committing adultery, swearing falsely, worshiping and trusting other things above God?

How can I better develop a habit of repenting and amending my sinful life?

How wide and how deep is my Savior's love for me? Enough to cover all my faults?

Pray:

Lord Jesus, I know your blood cleanses all my sin. I admit I need that forgiveness because I am sinful and unclean, sinning in my thoughts, words, and deeds. I thank you, Lamb of God, that you shed your blood for me, that I might be your own and live under you in your Kingdom. Help me, I pray, by the power of your Spirit, to turn from all sin in my life, which is destructive, and instead to live for your glory and praise. Amen.

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!




No comments:

Post a Comment