Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Image

Read 2 Kings 19

Read Colossians 3


I could comment on a whole host of great topics today, but I think I will pick up on our Colossians reading when Paul says, "[You] have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator."

From this passage it is clear that though humans were made in the image of God (see Genesis 1), that image has become blurry, even lost. Along with sin came the loss of the true image of God. But in Jesus Christ, that image is being restored, renewed.

Being originally made in the image of God, and being remade in God's image through Jesus Christ is really all about holiness. Paul has a list of sins that belonged to the former (corrupt) way of life, sins which we should put off and put to death. He also has a list of good things that we should do, a list of appropriate faithful responses of a person made new by Christ. Be patient, be forgiving, overlook their faults, be compassionate, be peaceful, be compassionate, and the list goes on and on.

When we (the regenerate) read such helpful instruction in God's Word, we must admit that we have not lived up to Paul's encouragement and kept God's perfect Law. This Word from God, like a crystal clear mirror, shows us our faults. But this instruction does more than make us feel guilty. As baptized, believing children of God, we know that even these sins (yes your sins of yesterday and also of today) are forgiven by our Savior. Thankful for this grace and determined to live for Christ, we eagerly receive Paul's encouragement, knowing that this is God's holy Will, and the perfect way to live for him.

Ask Yourself:

What is my God-given role in my family? My work place? My church?

How have I fallen short? In what ways have I succeeded by God's strength?

How can I improve?

Pray:

Pray from your heart today - whatever is on your heart. Know that God has promised to hear your prayer!

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment