Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Our Side

Read Psalm 124

Read 1 Samuel 26

Our two readings go together today. Saul is still pursuing David. In human terms, David is no match for the fearsome king and his host. But David has something that Saul does not: the LORD. Yes, as the Psalm says, if the Lord had not been on David's side, he would certainly be in danger of great harm and even destruction. Saul would certainly vanquish. But David has the Lord's protection, and so David was able to defy a host.

He snuck up to Saul, that is, he crept quietly through sleeping armies, right up to Saul's personal protecting officer, and right up to the King himself, and snuck out the way he came in. David did not allow Saul to be killed (he took the high road, as we saw a couple chapters earlier). But David once again called the king out. Saul was wickedly pursuing, and David was pointing it out, while at the same time maintaining his righteousness and right standing before God.

David is a great example for us. And this story along with Psalm 124 gives us great assurance that the Lord is our helper and our protection. God is on our side. Not that we were so holy and righteous and perfect that God had to be on our side, but in his merciful goodness and undeserved love God chose to make us sinners (who are naturally his enemies) his friends. We were rescued from our sin through the cross of Jesus and were put on God's army. Now that we are by grace through faith in God's army, we can be sure that God is "on our side." We have his angels watching over us. No harm can come near us if God does not allow it. No enemy can captures us. We too can defy a host.

Which reminds me of a good Paul Gerhardt hymn...

If God Himself be for me,
I may a host defy;
For when I pray, before me
My foes, confounded, fly.
If Christ, my head and master,
Befriend me from above,
What foe or what disaster
Can drive me from His love?

He canceled my offenses,
Delivered me from death;
He is the Lord who cleanses
My soul from sin through faith.
In Him I can be cheerful,
Courageous on my way;
In Him I am not fearful
Of God's great Judgment Day.

(LSB 724:1, 4)

Study with me tomorrow,

Pastor Jon

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. Saul must have been the original German. I recognize that stuborness and hard headedness. Yes, that is me looking in the mirror. I knew I recognized those human traits as very familiar.

    I meant to tell you after last week's sermon. The list of Top 10 Sinners should always include a mirror in one of the 10. Fortunately, there are plenty of mirrors around to remind us of our sinfulness and God's great mercy given to us through his Son.

    Kevin
    <><

    ReplyDelete